My experiences: Proper Use, SD Card formatting, Corruption

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
suaviant

My experiences: Proper Use, SD Card formatting, Corruption

Post by suaviant »

I sent my unit away after failing to do the headphone mod. It finally came back a few days ago. (I think Chinese customs was mostly to blame for the wait)

I've got my unit back and I have been tinkering with it a bit.

I am using Supreme Retrostone 1.3 on the 16gb microSD card that came with it.

I had a lot of bad boots, failed shutdowns and microSD card corruption (the system would eventually not boot at all).
I was unable to save state on PSX games. It just didn't work. Stayed at 0% and didn't change.

I browsed it using a linux file browser and was unable to recover my saves.

Lots of formatting and re-etching and it was still very unstable and easily corrupted.

I then used Aomei, wiped the SD card (using fill with zero option), reformatted it (fat32) and re-etched it using Etcher.

Then I let the console run until it's battery completely ran out to test it. I re-charged the battery and have been using it for a day now.

Every few boots it doesn't work and I have to power cycle the console. It usually boots fine afterwards.

No data corruption yet. PSX save states are working. It feels more stable. I am feeling a bit more confident with the device.
Basically as long as it doesn't corrupt my SD card and kill any saves anymore, I think I'm going to use it a fair bit ;)
suaviant

Re: My experiences: Proper Use, SD Card formatting, Corruption

Post by suaviant »

So, worked fine for several days.

Corrupted again. I think it was because I shut down while inside the file manager (which I think you can't get out of without attaching a keyboard).

Was able to pull my saves off.

Re-wiped, formatted using Aomei and re-etched and....still corrupted, didn't really work.

Re-formatted using SD Card formatter and re-etched. Working fine again, as before.

So, be careful with your shutdowns and back up saves frequently I guess!

Next I will look into how to script this....
OctavioS

Re: My experiences: Proper Use, SD Card formatting, Corruption

Post by OctavioS »

Im waiting for mine. Lets hope none of that happens. Perhaps im being too much optimistic. Hopefully, nothing that further sofware development cant fix.