Retrostone problems

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RetroStone
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Retrostone problems

Post by Admin »

Also about these boot problems, I just discussed with factory and they repport that they ran some tests, I quote :
3. Boot problem

I have download new system(RetrOrangePi_4.2_SLIM) for retrostone, and find the same product have different perfermance.

The original test system can be boot ok but new system need boot some time with same product, some time it's even can't work.
That would explain all the problems we'r encountering. Hope we can fix this problem asap.

When I get home I will try to upload the test OS that we use (I think it was retrorangepi 4.0 but can't remember exactly) so you can test it and see if it solve the issue.
bedfellow

Post by bedfellow »

Admin wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 15:14 No it does not sound correct indeed. You mean the battery was fully charged, you played for 1 hour, then the LCD started to flips ? Or the low battery LED turn on first? Or the charge cable was connected ever since it was fully charged?

Is it particularly hot where you live? like 40°C + ?
The RetroStone was fully charged before I reformatted the SD Card and reflashed it, as described in a previous thread. I had not even been playing games really, most of the time it was just switch on to check stability after flashing. I did notice the back of it was getting quite hot though, so maybe something had crashed? I live in Scotland so the chances of 40°C + is zero, we are lucky to get 20°C :)

I would be interested in trying the older build or RetroOrangePi that you mention and I have a new SD Card I can flash it onto.
bedfellow

Post by bedfellow »

• Flashed and inserted a brand new Sandisk SD Card with RetrOrangePi_4.2_SLIM_Armbian_5.59_Retrostone_Debian_jessie_default_3.4.113
    • Switched on RetroStone
    • Booted into 'Slim' screen then black screen for a while, presumably this is when it is expanding the partition, then it rebooted itself
    • Reboot hung at the 1/3rd blue, 2/3rd white screen. Left for several minutes but obvious it wasn't going to recover
    • Power cycled and Emulation Station booted
    • Still inconsistent in booting, sometimes works, sometimes just get blue and white screen.
    In conclusion, the issue does not appear to be related to the SD Card. The issue appears to be with startup, which appears intermittent and consistent with the 1/3 boot failure report you have from the factory in China.
dr_bunsen

Post by dr_bunsen »

I agree with an earlier post, that at least in my case, boot-up problems have been eliminated entirely by selecting "shutdown system" in the emulation station "Quit" menu prior to switching the Retrostone off using the power switch (wait until the flashing cursor disappears). Before this I just switched off using the power switch without executing software shutdown, and I had the same random bootup problems that other people have mentioned in this forum.
bedfellow

Post by bedfellow »

dr_bunsen wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 23:09 I agree with an earlier post, that at least in my case, boot-up problems have been eliminated entirely by selecting "shutdown system" in the emulation station "Quit" menu prior to switching the Retrostone off using the power switch. Before this I just switched off using the power switch without executing software shutdown, and I had the same random bootup problems that other people have mentioned in this forum.
I have always powered down using 'Quit' but still have the boot issue. If soft shutdown was necessary then the RetroStone should use a 'soft' switch to correctly quit.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

What is your backer number Bedfellow? I'm building a list of boot issue backers to send replacement.
outz

Post by outz »

dr_bunsen wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 23:09 I agree with an earlier post, that at least in my case, boot-up problems have been eliminated entirely by selecting "shutdown system" in the emulation station "Quit" menu prior to switching the Retrostone off using the power switch (wait until the flashing cursor disappears). Before this I just switched off using the power switch without executing software shutdown, and I had the same random bootup problems that other people have mentioned in this forum.
theres also an option buried in settings that allows you to bind shutdown to the tiny top button on the right side of the unit. saves you some navigationb as all you have to do is push that, wait until shutdown, then flip the off switch.
bedfellow

Post by bedfellow »

Admin wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 12:42 What is your backer number Bedfellow? I'm building a list of boot issue backers to send replacement.
Hi, I've messaged you.
bedfellow

Post by bedfellow »

outz wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 13:14
dr_bunsen wrote: Thu 23 Aug 2018 23:09 I agree with an earlier post, that at least in my case, boot-up problems have been eliminated entirely by selecting "shutdown system" in the emulation station "Quit" menu prior to switching the Retrostone off using the power switch (wait until the flashing cursor disappears). Before this I just switched off using the power switch without executing software shutdown, and I had the same random bootup problems that other people have mentioned in this forum.
theres also an option buried in settings that allows you to bind shutdown to the tiny top button on the right side of the unit. saves you some navigationb as all you have to do is push that, wait until shutdown, then flip the off switch.
I will have to try to find this setting. Thanks for the information.
dr_bunsen

Post by dr_bunsen »

outz wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 13:14
FYI Note that I think the tiny button top right is currently mapped to a rescue function, which might be necessary if there's a bad system crash.