Retrostone problems

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RetroStone
Mayday10

Re: Retrostone problems

Post by Mayday10 »

I formatted my card again and added a small handful of roms. Did not scrape at all. It seems to be as acting a bit more stable. My castlevania froze the system again though. I am going to find a different ROM file. Legendary Wings and Batman the video game played well, as did Sonic for SEGA
crippens

Post by crippens »

batiscafo wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 00:24 Hi Pierre,

Which is the next step for which the retrostone doesn't work?
-New software?
-New Retrostone (revised before shipping)?
-Send us an SD with a supposedly correct installation?
if it's hardware based issues, which I'm sure mine might be it would have to be a new retrostone. mine worked for all of 30 minutes. now i just get the white/blue screen of death.
jutleys

Post by jutleys »

Just a word of warning to others my device is not powering on anymore Pierre asked me to contact him by email which I did. But now after I told him the problem now he don't respond to my emails please be very careful if this is the after support we are getting I would never have purchased this device if I knew it would be like this. All I want is a working device what I paid for @Pierre advise what to do next? If you respond to your email I would never have posted here
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Groutxo wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 12:10
Daniel wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 10:59 Thanks for the Full Version. But I think the screen is not centered.It's best seen in the RetroPie setup menu.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Ln2pRN3EFCLKzoG6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wvV6tsbKXMXbiLsJ7

And the top button on the right does not do anything anymore. In the slim version you could restart the RetroStone.
Is something known about the centering of the screen or can it be corrected with commands?
Thank you
Solution is here http://orangepi.club/showthread.php?tid=2623 (the second post in this thread)
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: boot issues

Post by Admin »

Are you using the full version of retrorangepi?

Did you have any USB devices connected when booting? (some may need too much current)

Have you formated with Diskpart tool ? https://www.howtogeek.com/170794/ask-ht ... n-sd-card/
This could be a partition issue.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

jutleys wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 11:50 Just a word of warning to others my device is not powering on anymore Pierre asked me to contact him by email which I did. But now after I told him the problem now he don't respond to my emails please be very careful if this is the after support we are getting I would never have purchased this device if I knew it would be like this. All I want is a working device what I paid for @Pierre advise what to do next? If you respond to your email I would never have posted here
The last replied you got from me was yesterday 16h30... Today I replied to your email at 13:55......... Less than 24h ........
Please do not try to reach for me on every possible email address + forum or it just make things worse for me.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

batiscafo wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 00:22
Admin wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 17:02
batiscafo wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 16:54 For me, life remains the same. Well no, with the full version I have entered twice of thirty attempts.
Introducing Roms must be a great adventure ...
Your unit could boot only 2 times on 30 times? Even with the full version?
Have you cleaned correctly your micro-sd before flashing the full version?
Do you have any USB ethernet or charge cable connected while testing this?
Maybe try to re-download the full version image and try flashing it again. Maybe the image got corrupted while downloading.

If nothing helps your unit probably need to be replaced.
My SD: Sandisk 16 GB UHS-1
Erase and Format with: AOMEI
Flash with: Disk32 (use two .img downloaded with two different computers).
Result: "installing Retrorange pi"... but... "loading failed", in the best case... Only two times I had entered in Emulation Station. With and without charge cable.
With all my respect but it is not normal that a software needs so much scalpel. Unless it's the hardware.
You should not have so much problem with full version. It's probably hardware issue. Please contact me by email at hello@8bcraft.com and we'll arrange replacement. Please include in the mail a short summary, your forum name, your backer/order number so I can link it to you.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

marauder wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 01:34 Here's the list of issues I faced with the new Full version:

- I tried 3 times to format and flash an SD card (yes, with the correct tools) and all 3 times it failed to boot from the first launch. However just turning it off and on again surprisingly resulted in a correct system installation.
One of those 3 failures I had with an HDMI TV connected, please see the photo with some logs: http://take.ms/0HRgG

- In general I have an impression (same for Slim, Full beta and Full release), that for me trying to launch the device for the first time after a while is most likely to fail. And vice versa - when I already use it for a couple of hours, it starts booting with 100% success rate.
It makes me thinking that there's a hardware issue that stops reproducing as soon as the board warms up.
There's someone else who reported this feeling of cold launch problem. It's possible that you have a hardware defect. Maybe something like a capacitor out of range or something like this.

Compared with the beta it's similar behaviour right?
marauder wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 01:34 - Sometimes disconnecting USB devices (as keyboard or WiFi dongle) causes the whole system to freeze.

- Power button doesn't shutdown even if it's set to shutdown. It still just reboots.

- Keymapping is really messed up, for some reason it's different in every new system version, and every time it's really a challenge to set it up correctly for every core, since button names in Retroarch settings have nothing to do with the actual buttons of Retrostone. Sometimes it's not even possible to select Retrostone keypad as a default controller, and after remapping some buttons you realize that none of your buttons work anymore, since it has mistakenly saved a wrong controller type in Retroarch core remappings.

- Scraper neither worked in beta, nor it works in the release. Just keeps loading something endlessly.

I have also posted this at OrangePi forum, hopefully it somehow helps them to fix the issues.
Those sounds more like software issues though.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

marauder wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 13:39 I see a lot of comments on Kickstarter from people who are quite happy with their Retrostones and don't experience anything like the issues reported in this thread.
@Pierre, doesn't that somehow prove that it can be only a hardware issue that prevents some devices from booting reliably even after all these manipulations with SD-cards and various software fixes, while others just do it out of the box?
If not, what else can explain why devices behave so different with absolutely similar software? (I believe we can already exclude the factor of human mistakes at this point).
I understand that it would kind of suck to accept that such a huge number of broken devices has somehow passed the quality control and been supplied to backers..
But maybe that's the case when acceptance is the first step to resolution? )
Do not worry I have no problem with the acceptance step, I know there has been some problems with the quality controls.
It was just to make sure that it was not software problem before sending out replacement.
As you'r still having this issue while lot of others indeed don't have them, it does sounds like a hardware problem. Let's discuss by email to replace it.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

Mayday10 wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 20:07 I posted in the Kickstarter that all is well, but after further review.... its rough. I tried playing castlevania and I quickly get booted out to the main menu each time I try to play. Tried Cobra triangle and during play, the select button resets the game. In the menus, I try to scroll over to a new system and the screen starts flashing DOS-like script (as if it is scraping) and then freezes. I feel like the software is extremely unstable.

The headphones have almost no volume.
Some emulator needs some specific things. GBA for exemple do not include the bios by default (as it's copyrighted) and it won't work without.

About headphone you'll need headphones with audio gain. Another way is to modify the audio filter as described in another topic.