Screen issue

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RetroStone
cosmic_soup

Re: Screen issue

Post by cosmic_soup »

I had the retrostone charging for 4 hours and then picked it up to play (USB plugged in and still charging). After about 45 min the screen started flickering and the device shut off.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a specific USB I need to use to charge? I use the one from my Samsung phone.

2) When desktop mode is available, will I be able to have retrostone running for as long as I want if I keep it charged in? Alternatively what if I use a normal 5V 2.5A wall plug, will the retrostone stay on for as long as I want?

3) If I remove the screen and battery, will I be able to use like a normal rasberrypi?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

This sounds wrong.
You mean that it was charging for 4 hours, then you played for 45 min while it was still connected to charger, then battery was empty ?

I think it might be the charger cable that has something specific about it. Maybe it did not apply the right current because it did not recognize the device or something like this. Can you try another charger ?

You should be able to run it if battery is empty and charger connected.

3) if you remove the screen it's OK, if you remove the battery it won't start (it's the charger IC specifications, it's not ideal) if you remove the battery then you need to solder a jump wire between the power input and after the charger IC (there's a via called VBat available)
jutleys

Post by jutleys »

I too have had this problem two blue lights on and the screen starts to flicker this does not look wright you should still able to play with two blue led light on but screen eventually goes blank after flickering.
cosmic_soup

Post by cosmic_soup »

That's right, it was charging for 4 hours, I turned it on while still charging and after 45min it died (screen flickering and then off).

I have not experienced the same issue lately though. But if I keep it plugged in, is the battery supposed to die or can I have the retrostone on for 8 hours for example?
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

cosmic_soup wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 21:43 That's right, it was charging for 4 hours, I turned it on while still charging and after 45min it died (screen flickering and then off).

I have not experienced the same issue lately though. But if I keep it plugged in, is the battery supposed to die or can I have the retrostone on for 8 hours for example?
If your charger do not supply enought current the battery may get empty instead of charging. But with a 2A charger (sometime chargers lie about their max current, specially those ordered on amazone or aliexpress) it should not get empty and you should be able to play as long as you want.

Can you let me know if problem persist in the future?

@Jutleys you contacted me by email no?
wayn0r

Post by wayn0r »

Well, I'm reassured to see that I'm not the only person having this issue. What kind of play time between charges are people getting? I'm thinking I'll have to scrape metadata a few systems at a time and recharge halfway through.
twitter/instagram: wayn0r