Screeching sound when charging and off.

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RetroStone
JohnnyPi

Screeching sound when charging and off.

Post by JohnnyPi »

Received my grey retrostone today. Got everything installed, working, and roms loaded. It seemed okay for a while but when I went to charge it back up the first time it randomly started to make a loud escalating screeching sound from the speaker. This was with the unit powered off as well. It also seems to be buzzing for no apparent reason as well also while powered off. I reflashed onto a new card and reinstalled but am having the same problem. It also is buzzing with no sd card in the until and not plugged in. When I start it up the sound seems to return to normal but it definitely should not be screeching and buzzing while off or charging. I’m using a 5v power supply that is outlined. Help and suggestions appreciated.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Screeching sound when charging and off.

Post by Admin »

Hi Johnny,
This sounds like a hardware issue, sorry about that it seem we'r discovering new hardware problems.

You'r sure about the charger quality? Is it not some sort of fast-charger using 5V or 9V depending on situation? Maybe try another charger?

If another charger does the same than it needs to replace the unit, unless you have some basic knowledge in electronic/pcb? If so you can open it and have a look if :
- Some component is not soldered correctly. Specially around the speaker amplifier, the chip close to the speaker connector and around the charger/power chip (the part close to the micro-usb charger).
- Something looks odd or out of place.
- Speaker looks correctly connected.

Otherwise send me an email with your backer number so I can arrange a replacement or fixing it.

Pierre