Low Battery -> Charger -> Shutdown

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RetroStone
fraenksn

Low Battery -> Charger -> Shutdown

Post by fraenksn »

Anyone experienced this? Second led flash up, battery is low, I connect the RS to the charger immedietly ... and the RS crashes / shutdown coincidentally ... Is this as intended?
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Low Battery -> Charger -> Shutdown

Post by Admin »

No this should not happen. I think it might be your charger that has a too low maximum amp.
Can you check if it is a (real) 2A max charger?
Also is it 5V?
fraenksn

Post by fraenksn »

Hi Pierre!

Thanks for your reply : )
Checked my charger, it is this model:

https://www.amazon.de/Raspberry-Offizie ... er%C3%A4tv

Its an official Raspberry Pi charger

It has 5.1V and 2.5A (!) Maybe 2.5 is too much? I will try different ones.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

2.5A is the maximum current possible, so if the value is higher than the required it's ok.

Please let me know if with another one it solve your problem.
jutleys

Post by jutleys »

When my device has two blue lights on the screen starts to flicker and not playable this is not wright something is wrong you should still able to play with two blue lights on can you explain this pierre?
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

jutleys wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 16:52 When my device has two blue lights on the screen starts to flicker and not playable this is not wright something is wrong you should still able to play with two blue lights on can you explain this pierre?
When LED2 turns ON it means the battery is very low. Unit is about to shutdown. And LCD starts to flip.
fraenksn

Post by fraenksn »

Admin wrote: Tue 28 Aug 2018 12:09 2.5A is the maximum current possible, so if the value is higher than the required it's ok.

Please let me know if with another one it solve your problem.
Hi Pierre!

I could not find a different charger at the moment, so I tried it with an USB cable via notebook. And it works fine :) No shutdown.
I assume that the charger I had in use is not ideal, even its an official one for the RPI. It will not crash the unit, if there is some juice left, tho.

Now its all fine with my RetroPIERRE ; ) ; )
Thank you for this lovely portable console!
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

Awesome!
Don't forget to leave me a small review on my website ! :)
https://www.8bcraft.com/shop/retrostone/#reviews
Even few words are awesome! (Would be great in your mother tongue if it's not english)
Gamuza469

Post by Gamuza469 »

I had this issue just two days ago. I also lost some battery-saved progess in a Megadrive game (emulator did not save my updated progress, reverted back to battery state previous to starting my gaming session). I also got to the point of two leds on (low battery) then proceeded to plug it to my 5V 2.5A adapter. The unit turned off then on as soon as I plugged the jack in. Could the current spike be the culprit here?
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

If I understand correctly :

You were playing, low battery LED turned ON. Then you plug in the charger. Then the unit shutdown abruptly.

Is that correct?

What is your charger rating? If current is not enought (at least 1.5A minimum. 2A advised) then it would explain why the system shutdown.