Retrostone crash without an reason

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RetroStone
Peppuccio

Re: Retrostone crash without an reason

Post by Peppuccio »

Flashing the image now, seems if it work with my sd card32g Samung
Last edited by Peppuccio on Thu 6 Sep 2018 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Peppuccio

Post by Peppuccio »

Bads news, during the installation the retrostone shutdown and the led gone off :cry:, after format and flash another time the sd seems work (for now) :|
zxdunny

Post by zxdunny »

Pretty much the same thing just happened to me today - left it turned on and charging (Samsung fast charger) at the EmulationStation main menu, came back some hours later to find the white screen with top quarter flashing blue. Plugged in ethernet, cannot connect. Switched off, and now the uSD card has been badly corrupted.

So now I need to re-flash the SLIM image (don't want Full version - I don't need the extra features), copy my ROMs back, reinstall my custom theme hacks, re-edit my config files and re-run the scraper which takes all day. I'm sure I'll get around to it, but I simply cannot be bothered right now.

Previously this thing has been left on and charging for more than a day with no issues - this time however, it crashed and took the whole damned uSD card with it.
Brandon

Post by Brandon »

About chargers. I think it was mentioned to use a regular 5V 2A charger.

Fast chargers/Quick Chargers can up the voltage to 9V, some quick chargers can up the voltage to 20V.

So it is best to use a charger that you know is only going to output 5V.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

Yes I think the fast charger could be the reason, if it gave 9V it might have damaged the system. Is your system stable now? Please try using a 5V charger without any fastcharge option and feedback if problem is still there

@Pepucio Can you post a summary of your unit behaviour ? So I can find out if it needs to be replaced
zxdunny

Post by zxdunny »

Mine is fine now. Left it overnight charging and I came back this morning and it's booted up no problems. Weird how it just stopped charging and drained the battery though, despite being plugged in.

I've swapped it out for an Amazon charger instead, we'll see how it goes.
Peppuccio

Post by Peppuccio »

Admin wrote: Fri 7 Sep 2018 12:10 Yes I think the fast charger could be the reason, if it gave 9V it might have damaged the system. Is your system stable now? Please try using a 5V charger without any fastcharge option and feedback if problem is still there

@Pepucio Can you post a summary of your unit behaviour ? So I can find out if it needs to be replaced
at full charge i get the boot error, black screen and nothing. Turn on again and the system start. I played about 40 minutes at Adventure island for gameboy without errors. Still testing the duration of the battery.
Peppuccio

Post by Peppuccio »

I can confirm the problem isn't the battery but the power switch button. The battery not go totaly down , and when you turn on the device is like "anyone" turn off the device and you need to press another time the switch button at "the end of the rail"
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

Peppuccio wrote: Mon 10 Sep 2018 13:58 I can confirm the problem isn't the battery but the power switch button. The battery not go totaly down , and when you turn on the device is like "anyone" turn off the device and you need to press another time the switch button at "the end of the rail"
This would not surprise me, I just got 3 defective retrostones back and all were because of the on/off switch. This small part seem to give lot of problems...

One of the problem switch can have is that it is moving a bit on the side making it more difficult to switch off. By opening you can twist a bit the switch so it get back straight. Then I found that using hot glue between USB and on:off switch will held him correctly. However as the switch sides are open you must be carefull hot glue does not got inside the switch. So best way I found was to put a small piece of tape on the switch side before applying hotglue to make sure it does not go inside the switch...
I'll modify the injected casing for next production such that the switch is held tight by the casing.

If you don't want to attempt this yourself you can contact me by email and we'll arrange repair/replacement.
Peppuccio

Post by Peppuccio »

Lol maybe i need an video. Email send with Kickstart