sound after shutdown

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RetroStone
earlphys

sound after shutdown

Post by earlphys »

Hi all,

My Retrostone works perfectly, except a problem: Each time I go for the shutdown (Start-> Quit—>Shutdown system), waiting for the LCd to turn off (only the LED1 still on), then switch off the button, there is always a crazy sound which can last for 10mins. Then there is always a small sound which last forever (you can hear it by putting your ear close to the retrostone).

Is there anyone having the same issue as mine ?
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: sound after shutdown

Post by Admin »

Hi,
The speaker screeching means the on:off switch do not go all the way to OFF.

There can be 2 reasons :

- some dust in on/off switch . Try blow inside.

- on:off switch twisted a little bit on one side, and now it can't go all the way to off. If so then you can try to open and twist back the on:off switch in place. Putting something between ethernet connector and the switch will prevent this to happen again in future. (carefull if you use hotglue that the glue does not go inside the switch).

This problem has been solved in second production of retrostone where we modified the case such that the switch cannot move anymore.

Please let me know if you can fix it. If not then we'll need to send it for replair or replace it.
earlphys

Post by earlphys »

Thanks Pierre for your quick reply. I opened it up but the button seems to be in a good position, there is no dust either. I think that we need to send it for replace or repair. Can I send it to you ?
earlphys

Post by earlphys »

Here is the video of my Retrostone, opened and turned off, you can hear the small buzz from the speaker when I put my phone close to the Retrostone to record it: https://youtu.be/g8sWRZ_g12Q

When I put on the charger, the sound become much noisy and we can here it easily even meters away. https://youtu.be/nKAOiSGvEr8
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

It's first time I see this issue, it will need to send it back to me so I can check it (see my pm). One question first :
- Is it like this since the beginning?

I think maybe some small dust/thing went in the switch and got stuck in it. Or maybe the switch is not soldered correctly
charlydelta

Post by charlydelta »

Mine makes sounds like an old hard drive or a Geiger counter, but only when it is on and running. If I shut it down, there is (nearly) no noise, and if I switch it off completely, it goes silent.

So I don't think that the switch is the problem... The noise seems to originate from the speaker, but I can't tell for sure.