WORKING USB hub on pi ZERO

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RaspiBoy Kit
Stormbringer

WORKING USB hub on pi ZERO

Post by Stormbringer »

hi there.
this kickstarter made me discover the raspberry pi, so, after my pledges i bought a pi ZERO for both my incoming raspiboys, plus one to try and play around with, i had a project in mind regarding a simple security camera (raspberry operated) inside my car.

now, while buying many different gadgets and cables and things to go along with a raspberry pi i had GREAT TROUBLE in finding an USB hub that worked!
still now had no luck!

i mean, if i attach a keyboard OR mouse to the single mini-USB port they work fine, ONE AT A TIME, if i use a hub, and i used many, they seem to get powered since they light up, but then no port is really working because if i attach the peripheral it seems to stay dead.

i also tried the one from this china kit (which i thought would work with zero, as described) but it didn't:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01D1B ... UTF8&psc=1

somebody told me i HAVE TO use an externally powered hub, but what good is it to have a tiny computer if you got to attach one hundred adaptors and external power sources to make a goddamn keyboard AND mouse to work together?

since the raspiboy has multiple USB ports, i guess it's the custoim PCB that lets it multiply the single mini-USB port, or is it?

to the more experienced guys out there: is there a way raspberry pi ZERO could make a usb hub work without it being externally powered?

thank you, bye
surfzone

Re: WORKING USB hub on pi ZERO

Post by surfzone »

I bought this and is working fine

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B019XO ... UTF8&psc=1

I use a pendrive + usb snes pad style + Rii Mini i8 Wireless (keyboard and mouse) and works fine
leathco

Post by leathco »

Glad you found one that worked for you. I'm crap at soldering, so I am hoping the 2 ports the Raspiboy has will be enough. I am considering having a Bluetooth and Wifi adaptor plugged into the two USB ports and using Bluetooth controllers for multiple players. I got the 5000 mah battery, so hoping the extra juice will help having multiple bluetooth controllers going.
surfzone

Post by surfzone »

I think that is better to get a Pi Zero W and you have 2 usb ports free
Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer »

thx surfzone, i'll try and get your hub!
Pietze

Post by Pietze »

Stormbringer wrote:i mean, if i attach a keyboard OR mouse to the single mini-USB port they work fine, ONE AT A TIME, if i use a hub, and i used many, they seem to get powered since they light up, but then no port is really working because if i attach the peripheral it seems to stay dead.
I'm not able to connect a simple OTG cable without the pi shutting down... I'm really confused about this and I can't access Retropie since I have no input device working :(
greavous

Post by greavous »

If you are plugging the OTG into the microusb on the raspiboy then that is because that is for power and not data.

First time I booted my Zero before getting the kit I had my keyboard/power in the wrong usbs and whilst it booted it didnt recognise the controller. Didn't seem to do any lasting damage as I then changed them over and have been fine since.
shnukms

Post by shnukms »

this worked for me. I haven't tried the ethernet yet as it's not really useful on a Pi0W.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00LLUEJXW/ref ... 4zb2MPHRRK
note: this is the USB 2.0 version
Pietze

Post by Pietze »

greavous wrote:First time I booted my Zero before getting the kit I had my keyboard/power in the wrong usbs and whilst it booted it didnt recognise the controller. Didn't seem to do any lasting damage as I then changed them over and have been fine since.
Hi there,

I got one of those USB powered OTG hubs now. Indeed, my Pi Zero isn't shutting down anymore. But non of my controllers or keyboard and mouse are responding when I connect them.

I really I won't run into the same stuff when I will ensemble the RaspiBoy :cry: