Worked exactly once...

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RaspiBoy Kit
chrisparker2000

Worked exactly once...

Post by chrisparker2000 »

I got my raspiboy kit, put it together. It booted and looked good. I played a few games. I tried a MAME game that didn't work. I couldn't get out of it. So I powered down the unit. When I powered back up, nothing. Thought the SD card might be corrupt, so I reimaged it. Put it all back together. Nothing. Hooked up external HDMI. Nothing.

Not sure how to troubleshoot this further.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Worked exactly once...

Post by Admin »

Hi,
I'll try to find root problem with you.

As you'r saying it does not work when you plug HDMI right?
So I think the problem comes from the pi or the SD. The hard boot can corrupt data, but it does not happen often.

Can you try to take use the raspberry pi zero alone with a HDMI screen? That way we will be able to identify the problem between the pi zero and the SD card.
You already tried to write new software image right?
Can you try another SD card see what happens?

If you have another raspberry pi you can try the SD on this other raspberry see what happens.
I wonder if a hard boot can damage/break the raspberry pi. It seems unlickely but not impossible.
chrisparker2000

It did not work when I plugged the HDMI cable into the whole Raspiboy. It has been my experience that when a hard shutdown happens the SD card does usually get corrupted. I have a B+ that is used for a wall calendar and whenever it loses power, it has to be re-imaged.

So I opened it up and took out the pi and hooked it up to HDMI and power. It booted! It also did the partition resizing so that means it hadn't been booted when it was in the case the second time. After it came up, I realized I had no way to shutdown except hard, so I did pull the plug. Since I had nothing to lose, I tried to boot again. This time it booted fine as well and did not resize the partition.

So I don't think its the pi or the SD card.
chrisparker2000

Forgot to add, thanks for your help!
Chris
chrisparker2000

I put it back together and it booted! I don't think the 8BCraft board and the pi were making a good contact. That's my theory at least...

Chris
chrisparker2000

It seems like the PCB is "riding up" and doesn't want to make contact with the pi. I don't know why.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

So is it working now or do you still have problems?
chrisparker2000

It worked once again and stopped. Since the PCB isn't hitting the pi properly, it doesn't boot consistently. Twice total. I've taken it apart and tried to reseat it 3-4 times.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

Ok then I think it's better to replace the PCB
Please send me an email at hello@8bcraft.com with your backer number/order number and reference to this email and I'll register to send you a part.
chrisparker2000

Email sent. Thanks!