Game-pad not detected

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RaspiBoy Kit
albas2k17

Game-pad not detected

Post by albas2k17 »

game-pad and external USB game-pad are not detected. I tried two distros Lakka, and Retropie same on both. I checked the pogo pin for connection to the pi, they seem to be touching, I cleaned the pi PCB with mineral spirit. Nothing is preventing the pogo connections. I could hard-wire the USB bus to the daughter board but I cannot determine the circuit path. Is there a schematic available?
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Game-pad not detected

Post by Admin »

Hi,

It might be either the pogo pins that are not exactly in the right position (during SMT solder maybe they moved a bit) so soldering would solve the issue.
However maybe the USB hub IC has a problem, then if you solder you will solder you pi to a non working PCB.

What could be interesting is to solder wires to somewhere else than the pogo pins. So if it does not work it's not a problem for future use.

USB input D+ and D- can be found as on this picture :

If you can solder wires to the IC pins (but it's difficult because they are small) then you can try to connect USB input directly into the USB hub IC.

What I would do is plug a micro-USB cable into the raspberry pi zero USB output, strip the end of this cable to get the D+ and D- wires, solder them to the IC pins. Try to start the system like this see if it works. (outside of the casing because it will not fit inside with micro USB plugged in raspberry pi.
If it works I would solder the raspberry pi zero and the pogos pins together.

But it's quite difficult process. If you prefer I can send you replacement PCB.
Send me an email at hello@8bcraft.com
pbhound

Post by pbhound »

albas2k17 wrote:game-pad and external USB game-pad are not detected. I tried two distros Lakka, and Retropie same on both. I checked the pogo pin for connection to the pi, they seem to be touching, I cleaned the pi PCB with mineral spirit. Nothing is preventing the pogo connections. I could hard-wire the USB bus to the daughter board but I cannot determine the circuit path. Is there a schematic available?
Make sure that you are using the Rpi Zero v1.3 or the zero wireless, as the RPi 1.2 the test points where the pogo pins sit has moved for the 1.3 version. the 8bit board is configured for the v1.3 and zero wireless.
albas2k17

Post by albas2k17 »

I am using the Pi Zero 1.3 as per the troubleshooting FAQ page.
Colbatronbmw

Post by Colbatronbmw »

I am also using the 1.3 version.

I also don't get any input on the raspiboy. If I plug in a second controller it will work in the retropie UI but once I open a menu or launch a game I get nothing on the second controller.
abocaman

Post by abocaman »

Hi,

when I began to play the console the first time, It didn't recognize the main controller. I made a hard reboot and worked without problems. After a long travel by car the console never found back the main controller again. My solution; open the case a reseat the two pcb and ajust the pogo pins, and also recheck the weld in the connections in the main controller main board. In my case I found two bad welds. Now is working properly.

Regards.
ivanloan

Post by ivanloan »

hi

i also have the same issue. but the strange is that pad control is not recognize in 2 raspiboys
i'm using raspberry pi zero v1.3 from the pihut, i modified the config.txt file. i've also tried move pcb and raspi trying get good contact, clean contacts with electrical contact cleaner
i have video, sound, control volume, and usb works with wireless keyboard
i've spent few hours to figure out what i'm doing wrong, but it seems that some pcb are not soldered with precision
what can i do?
thank you
ivanloan

Post by ivanloan »

Hi
I also have same problem with 2 raspberry, so it is strange or bad luck
I got video, sound, control volume working fine. I cleaned contacts, move several times raspi and pcb, modified config txt file
I spent last night few hours but nothing. The pad is not deetected
I use preconfig retropie pi zero iso and also clean installation
What can i do?
Thank you
abocaman

Post by abocaman »

ivanloan wrote:Hi
I also have same problem with 2 raspberry, so it is strange or bad luck
I got video, sound, control volume working fine. I cleaned contacts, move several times raspi and pcb, modified config txt file
I spent last night few hours but nothing. The pad is not deetected
I use preconfig retropie pi zero iso and also clean installation
What can i do?
Thank you
Did you checked that the cable from game pad pcb are correctly conected to the board? The first upper white conector on the 8bcraft's board.

When start retropie the display show something similar to the next pic?
What message did you see?
martinv2

Post by martinv2 »

I also experienced the 'No Gamepads detected' after first assembling the kit.

The only thing I had changed in the RetroPie filesystem apart from the necessary config.txt changes was this: I enabled the Ethernet Gadget to be able to access the headless Pi Zero in the pre-configuration stage (expand the filesystem, increase the font size) from my Mac over USB. This driver blocks the gamepad function of the USB port! Once I removed it the gamepad started working!

HTH
Martin