Font size? Audio fix? Noob here...

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RaspiBoy Kit
ArtOfTheWolf

Font size? Audio fix? Noob here...

Post by ArtOfTheWolf »

Ok I am new to all of this and I apparently know nothing about the whole operation and build.

Let me just point out that I have a mac, not PC, and also I don't have a keyboard or wifi dongle so any solution including these won't help me. The build is all assembled, so if I need to take it apart to adjust anything please tell me!

First: That audio static screech... is there a solution?

Second (Most important..): How in the heck do I increase the font size on the screen? Every tutorial or instruction is either done on the computer (PC) or somehow done through the ES? I don't know what any of this means. This was supposed to take 5 minutes to set up but I've taken 4 hours alone looking up pointless youtube videos and forums that lead me nowhere.

Third: Does every system/emulator that is added (psx, nds, gba, etc.) need a bios added? I have one added for ps1 and have no issues playing the game, other than the FONT SIZE to get there!!

Fourth: Just curious how other people fair with the 8gb, or should I put a larger storage SD in? I don't want to run out of space.

Fifth: I noticed the Raspiboy heats up very quickly near where the pie sits. I saw online that someone put electrical tape over the LCD and under the pie... Is there a reason why it heats up, or is there a way to soothe it? Unsure what to do about this too.

Thanks in advance, just really want to get it up and running properly so I can gift one to my brother and enjoy one myself!
greavous

Re: Font size? Audio fix? Noob here...

Post by greavous »

1) Not sure. I played with the internal volume and put that so it was just under 0db so no internal distortion and then can play with the hardware volume pot to taste. I get a bit of fuzz but not much unless I plug in a wifi dongle and then I get more interference.

2) Depends which text you are talking about. The Emulation Station overlay windows(when you press start or select) I havent tried to change. But the general windows for Emulator/Rom selection can be changed by choosing a different theme or the manual options you mentioned that are for PC. They should be similar to doing it on a PC(I did mine on a Mac) but without a wifi adapter its going to be more challenging to edit the Theme data as I dont think that was accessible unless you SSH in or do it via the Raspiboy. You are better asking software questions in the Retropie forum rather than here.

3) Not every emulator needs a BIOS. Check the retropie webpage documents for the details on what each emulator requires. They are very clear on there. https://retropie.org.uk/docs/ Again the RetroPie forum would be a better resource to ask.

4) I'm using a 32GB as I have GB/GBC/NES/SNES/Genesis/Master System/MAME/SuperGraf and a few other complete ROM sets so for the ROMs and the scraped data I've made sure I have plenty of space.

5) I get heat normally only when I'm using a USB drive or Wifi adapter. A solution is the one you mentioned to insulate it with tape. The reasoning for this was also on that post you mentioned due to potential contact between the Pi and the screen.
ArtOfTheWolf

Post by ArtOfTheWolf »

Thank you so much greavous! I have ordered a larger sd card, taped the inside for insulation, and figured out the theme changing.

I'm going to ignore the audio buzz for as long as I can, it's not terrible but a bit annoying.

The multiple bios that I will need is next. I am using mostly GB GBC GBA PS1 N64, out of these do you think I would need a bios for them, and suggest a site to get them? I have a PS1 bios and it works seamlessly but I don't want to get viruses from any untrusted websites.

Once again, thanks for your help!
greavous

Post by greavous »

GBA will need a BIOS. GB/C are fine though.

N64 will be touch and go on a zero generally as it seems to perform poorly on a pi3 from what I've read so I haven't even tried tbh. If the retropie website docs link i provided before doesn't mention the need for a BIOS for that emulator then it isn't required. It only mentions it if it is required.