1 hr battery life

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RaspiBoy Kit
Mageek

1 hr battery life

Post by Mageek »

I have a 3000 mAh battery.
Pi zero W with WiFi and Bluetooth turned off.
I also have a SanDisk 128gb nano flash drive in one of the ports in which I have my rooms stored.

After fully charging the battery it only get 1 or so of game time.

Is my setup the cause of is it a bad battery?
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: 1 hr battery life

Post by Admin »

It is possible that it's your nano flash drive that is taking a lot of power. raspiboy is only about 0.3A, I think your flash can take up to 0.5A maybe even more, it would explain why you have only 1 hour of lifetime. Can you try without this USB stick?
Graylag

Post by Graylag »

I would say suggestion given by Pierre about increased consumption due to flash drive is most probable. Those devices can be quite power hungry unless managed properly by OS, especially at bigger sizes.

Trying it without drive is first think you should try. But there is also another way how to verify this. At this power consumption the flash drive should heat up considerably. Let the system run for 15 minutes and afterwards simply touch the drive. If it gets warmer, you have found your power loss.
Mageek

Post by Mageek »

Thank you for replying pierre and Graylag.

Your info was very helpful. I tested again with and without nano drive after letting the raspiboy charge to full both times.

I did get way better times on both trials. I let metal slug on neogeo run on a constant demo loop and checked in on it a few times within a couple hours
and the low battery indication never even turned on.

The nano did get hot when i was using it.

Given your advice and my testing i decided just to install a bigger SD card and avoid using flash drives.

Thank you