raspiboy possibly damaged by mistake

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RaspiBoy Kit
karine

raspiboy possibly damaged by mistake

Post by karine »

I'm afraid someone at home connected the raspiboy to a small external, USB powered screen, feeding power to it through one of the raspiboy top USBs (i know they're only supposed to be used for data...)

It worked for a few minutes before switching off, with the internal heatsink feeling hot through the heatsink, and the speaker emiting random noises, even with the switch off.
I had to perform 'emergency surgery', removing the screws to open it and stop what was going on inside.
I've checked the pi zero separatelly, it is perfectly fine.

Can this have melted one of the components of the raspiboy PCB ? Right now, i've put the raspiboy back together and starting recharging it.
The last 2 leds are on. The battery never got hot at anytime.

Should i order a new PCB ? Or should i try replacing one component on the PCB (one of those located beneath the heatsink ? i'm not bad at soldering)

Thanks a lot
Graylag

Re: raspiboy possibly damaged by mistake

Post by Graylag »

Can you clarify what is your present RaspiBoy status and what is your problem?

From what you are describing it seems you are worried the PCB is damaged, but you did not find any damage and device seems to work (or at least charging. Is that so?

If yes, then although not recomended - this should usually not cause any permanent damage. What might have happened is one of power circuit components could reach thermal threshold and shut itself down. If yes, then the device should be again fully functional after cooling down. It is unlikely any component could have melted. Safe temperature for most electronic components is well above 100°C and real damage usually does not happen until 150-200°C. Unless you see any damage to the board (or surrounding plastic casing), you should be ok.

However, if I misunderstood and your RaspiBoy is NOT operational, it is likely the board is damaged. If that is so, you should order a new PCB. I discourage you from any attempts to repair the board, because even if you manage to correctly replace specific component, you do not know if there is any other undetected damage, resulting in disfunctional or unreliable device. Think of it as of crashed car - might still be usefull for experiments, but you should not use it for daily commuting.
karine

Re: raspiboy possibly damaged by mistake

Post by karine »

Thank You for your reply,

The PCB was damaged, the charge regulator melted, almost imprinting the heatsink into the surrounding plastic casing. As a result, the Rapiboy won't power up, although the last to leds indicate some activity when connected to a power source.

I've already ordered a replacement which was shipped yesterday.

Best Regards