Black screen, broken fpc connector

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RaspiBoy Kit
Herb_fargus

Black screen, broken fpc connector

Post by Herb_fargus »

Unfortunately the fpc connector for the screen snapped off as soon as I touched it, so I can still slide in the ribbon cable but there isn't anything to hold it in, but even if I'm able to get it stabilised it just stays black.

I know it isn't a software issue as it boots fine on the TV, and I hear noise through the speaker/ the pcb lights up, so I'm assuming it's a bad connection with the LCD connection or I got a shoddy LCD.

I ordered another one from eBay that should be here in a few weeks to rule out the screen, and then if that fails o may try removing the connector and soldering the ribbon cable directly.

Perhaps someone smarter than me has some suggestions that I may have missed?
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Black screen, broken fpc connector

Post by Admin »

I think with the black part broken there is no enought pressure to make good contact between FPC and ribbon, even if the ribbon is hold in the FPC.
Faulty LCD is very rare, I have none so far, few with dead pixels. Main problem with LCD is when the ribbon is teared.

Maybe you can try to create pressure holding down the ribbon when in the FPC by inserting one or two layers of paper along with the ribbon (on the side where there is no contact) so that it will be more tight in the FPC thus making better contact. But I am not sure it would be enought.
See my email reply also.
Herb_fargus

Re: Black screen, broken fpc connector

Post by Herb_fargus »

I got it fixed by jamming a piece of a starbucks giftcard into where the black part went. probably one of the jankiest fixes I've done but it works.