TP-Link TL-WN823N WiFi-dongle doesn't work - tips with the drivers

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RaspiBoy Kit
rolle

TP-Link TL-WN823N WiFi-dongle doesn't work - tips with the drivers

Post by rolle »

I have TP-Link TL-WN823N wifi dongle, that is not supported by retropie by default. Have googled the drivers, but most of the tutorials are for Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 so didn't try them on zero for that reason.

If someone has tutorials or instructions to provide for TP-Link TL-WN823N, I would be glad. However, Apple USB to Ethernet adapter is confirmed working without any installations, so this is not necessarily needed, but still, confirmed TP-Link TL-WN823N will NOT work out of the box. Buy a supported one instead, supported models are here: https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters
Whoody

Re: TP-Link TL-WN823N WiFi-dongle doesn't work - tips with the drivers

Post by Whoody »

Hello!
I bought the same dongle, I didn't read this and I'm facing the same problem. I read a post in another forum that explains how to install the drivers, but you have to have Internet connection to download the linux driver, that it looks to work, the problem with rp zero is that doesn't have rj45 port, so I can't download it. I uploaded the roms to this system via usb pendrive, but I don't Know how to upload the driver to install it, and dissasemble the raspi is not an option. Anyone knows how to do it?
Thanks in advance.
rolle

Post by rolle »

Whoody wrote: Fri 9 Feb 2018 01:58 Hello!
I bought the same dongle, I didn't read this and I'm facing the same problem. I read a post in another forum that explains how to install the drivers, but you have to have Internet connection to download the linux driver, that it looks to work, the problem with rp zero is that doesn't have rj45 port, so I can't download it. I uploaded the roms to this system via usb pendrive, but I don't Know how to upload the driver to install it, and dissasemble the raspi is not an option. Anyone knows how to do it?
Thanks in advance.
Hello, noticed this reply far too late, but please use Apple USB to Ethernet adapter, it works perfectly, as I explained here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1619
Whoody

Post by Whoody »

Hello again,

Thanks for the info, I keep trying it with the tplink dongle and I managed to upload the driver to the raspi without internet connexion. I did it like you can do with any rom, put it in any system folder (I did in the amstradcpc rom folder) in an usb pendrive and wait until it copies to the SD, return to the console by pressing f4, go the directory and install it.
Unfortunately, I can confirm that It doesn't work :( .

I tried the linux driver that tplink provides:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL- ... tml#Driver

This one doesn't even compile, but it comes with a pdf manual that has a link to github with versions for several linux kernell. It compile and install, but still doesn't work either.

I've tried the dongle with another devices, such a windows tablet pc, doesn't work either, but at least, it detects it. Also, the led lights turn on in the tablet, so I'm starting to think that the problem is that the raspberry pi zero doesn't have enough power for the dongle, that does nothing when connected to it.

I think that if I look for much farther in forums and so, eventually I'll make it works, but I'm not in the mood to do it, I'll return it to Amazon. Besides, when I'm trying to make it works, the raspiboy does crazy stuff, like stop detecting the controller, so I don't want to broke it.

I find the Apple USB to Ethernet adapter, I think I'll have to buy one, but it costs 30€, it's a lot of money for a damn adapter...
greavous

Post by greavous »

Instead of spending that on an apple dingle why not just get a cheap USB WiFi dongle that is pi compatible. I paid about £7 for one off amazon. Works perfectly and is plug and play. Will be cheaper and easier
Whoody

Post by Whoody »

greavous wrote: Tue 20 Feb 2018 18:02 Instead of spending that on an apple dingle why not just get a cheap USB WiFi dongle that is pi compatible. I paid about £7 for one off amazon. Works perfectly and is plug and play. Will be cheaper and easier
The TpLink supose to be pi compatible and plug and play, but it's ok, I returned it and I bought this:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B0792S ... UTF8&psc=1

Works nicely, and I use it with the raspi and with a tablet pc, so worth the price. I prefer cable than wifi.