screen flicker when holding/playing Raspiboy

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RaspiBoy Kit
souya

screen flicker when holding/playing Raspiboy

Post by souya »

hi people,

I've just got mine. After some struggle closing the casing properly I finally got it to work. However I realised the screen starts to flicker once I hold it up. When it is rested on the desk the screen stays okay.

It becomes very frustrating to use it at all because the screen flickers sporadically.

I'd like to know if there this is a connection problem between PCB and pi zero? Because the display ribbon cable seems to be stuck quite firmly to the PCB.

Would appreciate if anyone has any idea at all!

Thank you,
Ye
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: screen flicker when holding/playing Raspiboy

Post by Admin »

it can be a connection problem between the 2 boards. have you already tried to unassembled and re assembled?

Another possibility is that L/R wires are stuck under circular shapes of the back casing. if so they will prevent the case to close correctly. So the boards will not contact correctly.

Does that help?
souya

Post by souya »

Hi Pierre,

It turns out that the problem was indeed the contact between 2 boards. I realised during the first assembly my casing was not fully closed, especially on the side where the two boards sit.

Now I've made sure the two halves of the casing are well closed and my raspiboy is running fine!

However that brings me to another problem I discovered while trying to troubleshoot the screen flicker.

The 3 screws that came with the kit (the 3 that were already on the raspiboy when I received it) are in fact smaller than the additional screws provided in the ziplock bags. That is why I can't screw the bigger screws all the way down the threads, which resulted in bad contact. Would you please provide the specification of the screws? right now my Raspiboy is only held close by that 3 screws that actually fit.

Thanks!
Ye
souya

Post by souya »

As you can see the 2 nails on the left are so much bigger than the 3 on the right. The small ones fit perfectly and the big ones don't. that is why my casing can never be closed fully.
Attachments
nails.jpg
nails.jpg (138.76 KiB) Viewed 4882 times
souya

Post by souya »

It turns out every problem I had with my Raspiboy is a result of the shells not being able to close fully, because I only have 3 working screws.... :shock:

My dpad had problem registering 'left' precisely. Often times when I pressed 'left' it triggered 'up' as well. I just spotted this gab along the dpad side of the casing and guess what I found out - forcing it to close it by hand can prevent my dpad from being inaccurate as well...

Please tell me the size/gauge of the screws so I can find replacement...Thank you...

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with my Raspiboy. Sounds great and the screen is bright and clear too! ;)
Attachments
gap.jpg
gap.jpg (35.8 KiB) Viewed 4880 times