Planned Modifications to Raspiboy

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RaspiBoy Kit
buzz

Planned Modifications to Raspiboy

Post by buzz »

I'd love to know if the SDIO pins are available on the pi0 still

I want to do two mods to make the platform a tad more 'fancy'

First (requiring the SDIO pins) is adding a ESP8266 module for wifi

The second is, adding a raspicam pointing back.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Planned Modifications to Raspiboy

Post by Admin »

The only GPIO used is 18 and 13 for audio output. The GPIO17 has a pogo pin on it (because pogos come in pairs) but is not connected to anything, so you could still use it.
So it should be ok to use the SDIO I would say!
I did not knew that ESP8266 on SDIO. It seems to be only working on short distances though.
buzz

Post by buzz »

100 meter might be short distance for you, not me ;) i just need 5-10 meters

cool, looks like it could work then :D awesome (i dont need BCM17)
gabiballetje

Post by gabiballetje »

I also wanted to add WiFi and Bluetooth as standard, so i always had it and didn't have to put in a WiFi and or bluetooth dongle every time i needed those, especially handy for bluetooth to always have easy acces to a keyboard and controllers, it has much more freedom than the wired controllers. Same goes for WiFi, also for adding ROM's if need be.

I have seen some Zero sized boards, but the Raspi Boy is also mounted on it, i don't know if you could keep stacking them, does that work, does it even fit in the case, or could you move the WiFi/Bluetooth board somewhere else in the case and just use wires to connect ?
I feel every Raspberry project should just have WiFi/Bluetooth connectibility.

Any ideas on this ?
Maybe someone could spot a really nice module or something that would be smaller and easier to put in, mounted or relocated with wires ?

Best would be if the Raspi Boy team themselves would figure out the easiest internal solution, maybe put it in as an option ?
I'd sure get it.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

The best way is to use wires to connect to the GPIO of raspberry pi zero. And put the module elsewhere in the casing. There'll be enough place for them I think.
I will have a look at wifi/bluetooth modules
buzz

Post by buzz »

TRIXXYDIXXY

Post by TRIXXYDIXXY »

I was thinking of fitting Bluetooth and wifi internally too, but have decided against it as I'm worried how it would impact the battery life.

I'll only be using the RaspiBoy when I'm travelling, I have a Rasberry Pi in an old NES case for my gaming when home. If I need to transfer games or update meta data on the RaspiBoy I'll just plug in a USB dongle.
leathco

Post by leathco »

Also, they make WiFi and USB sticks that mount very close to the surface, almost flush with the device, so they could be left plugged in.

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un ... s=usb+wifi

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth ... +usb+linux

These two adaptors I use in an original Pi with no problems, and they work with later models as well.