Crashes upon loading

Please check here for help solving common issues.
radioshed

Crashes upon loading

Post by radioshed »

Hi there,

Received my RetroStone 2 yesterday. Followed the tutorial steps to format in FAT32 and flash the OS image on to the SD card, started the system and let it go. Everything seemed okay at first, although it seemed to take a while to boot.

However, upon entering the emulation program, I can play around for about 30 seconds before the screen goes black (or on one occasion, totally white) and I have to hard reset the system using the power button. The system then hangs on the boot screen and won’t load any further.

I have attempted a number of times to reflash the SD card, also using a different PC to flash the image, different card readers, using diskpart and different formatting programs, using a different SD card, and every time when I reflash the image the above happens again – the emulation program loads, then it black screens and I’m unable to do anything except hard reset.

Anything I can try to fix this?

(I've already posted a ticket on the 8BCraft site.)
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Crashes upon loading

Post by Admin »

Could you please make a small video showing the behaviour?
Also do you still have audio after the screen gone black?
Is the unit charged?

I'm not sure yet but this is probably hardware issue indeed. It could be software, but currently no one reported this issue.
I will check with factory if they seen this bug during quality test. I know they had some LCD which were faulty and always black.
radioshed

Post by radioshed »

The audio cuts out along with everything else. The unit is fully charged (or always pretty close to it, the battery isn't an issue).

I've made a video and uploaded it to YouTube, it's unlisted so don't worry about anyone finding it, you can only see it if you have the link! It's a bit longer than I wanted it to be but I wanted to show you the entire boot process and what happens afterwards.

(I was quite lucky in this video as it was one of the few instances I was able to boot into the OS after the crash happened, however I can't load emulation at all)

Link: https://youtu.be/qMgptOTHZgg

Hope you can help!
miguelh0288

Crashes when playing

Post by miguelh0288 »

Hi, my RS2 crashes when plays the game and the screen turns to black. The RS2 is fully charged and I tried with several NES and SNES roms, I have tried with 2 CD cards too. How can I fix it? any idea?
greg06021

Crashes in all games after 2-5 min

Post by greg06021 »

Hello

I received my Retrstone 2 yesterday. I followed the tutorial to install the OS image correctly in SD card.
Everything was fine and the OS works correctly.
I take some ROMS from my PC and put on the retrostone by USB.

I tried several ROMS, and they load and start correctly.

Issue : After several minutes in the game, the Retrostone crash.

Picture on the screen :

Most of the time, I have a black screen exactly like in this video from this topic : viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4922.
The difference with the video that it happens after 2 or 5 min.
Sometimes, I have a freeze on the screen and the color turn to pink colors, the game is blocked (i see the image of the game but in pink, i can't do nothing).
I had one time a white screen, but only one time.

Sound :

For the sound, no sound when i have the crash.

When i have this, if i turn off the retrostone and start again, the OS start correctly and i can select the games.

I tried several thing to fix it :

I use a 128 Go SD card in FAT32, so i tried with the 16 Go SD card inclued in the package, same on the 2 SD cards.
The battery is completly full.
I tried to start the games with different emulators, same issue.

I notify in some games, this issue appear clearly quickly than other games.

For example, I have this issue between 2 or 5 min in Super Mario bros on NES everytime, or megaman on NES too.
I tried in several other games in different plateforms (Snes / megadrive / gbc / GBA), same issue, but random time (sometime less than NES games, sometime more).

You have already a video from this topic : viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4922. Do you need a video from me too to see what happening ?

Any ideas to fix it ?

Thank you in advance.

(I've already posted a ticket on the 8BCraft site.)
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

- No it's not normal that it takes so long to load a game. I noticed the same thing on the latest beta image, so this is most likely a software issue.

Can you please try this older beta image :
http://8bcraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... esktop.rar

This is an older image that I kept for testing. This image does not have the long loading time issue, but there is some missed frames.
If you can check if your unit also crash with this version please?

Thanks
radioshed

Post by radioshed »

I tried the older image this morning, it still crashes as before.

Have posted a second video if you'd like to have a look at it:

https://youtu.be/iA2aB2_eTHk

This must rule out a software problem now? Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Wapameepto

Post by Wapameepto »

My Unit also crashes after a few moments of Playing. I thought it is a Software problem.
I will wait for a new version.
iori54

Post by iori54 »

new image is posted on retrorangepi forum
radioshed

Post by radioshed »

iori54 wrote: Thu 23 Jan 2020 19:21 new image is posted on retrorangepi forum
The new image has fixed the problem for me. There's a bit of lag and stuttering going on during gameplay but I think I'm right in saying that this is one of the issues currently being addressed.