LED above screen

Please check here for help solving common issues.
thkrmr

LED above screen

Post by thkrmr »

What's the green LED on top of the RetroStone2 and why is it so darn bright? I expected the blue LEDs to be fairly visible and a bit bright (especially with the blue transparent case), but this green thing on top is rather annoyingly bright.

How can I dim it? Is it a faulty unit?

Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: LED above screen

Post by Admin »

That's light that comes from the LCD.
I think the light actually comes from where the LCD ribbon attach to the LCD shell. And it's green because the LCD ribbon is green.
If you want to remove this light you'll need to open and add some opaque tape.

I don't actually have a working blue unit at hand to check it though. I'll need to open my grey unit here to check it.
thkrmr

Post by thkrmr »

If you get around to checking it out would be great. It's too bright. There are the other greed LEDs that are kinda dimmed, but this thing should've had some masking done.
thkrmr

Post by thkrmr »

Admin wrote: Mon 3 Feb 2020 11:21 I think the light actually comes from where the LCD ribbon attach to the LCD shell. And it's green because the LCD ribbon is green.
If you want to remove this light you'll need to open and add some opaque tape.
It was indeed coming from a gap between the metal frame and the ribbon, basically where the metal frame has a hole to feed the ribbon through, the light was simply coming through. It wasn't an LED it was the light of the panel itself. I taped it with black tape across the metal frame, not it's invisible and blends nicely with the outer black frame of the shell.