System Crashs on Battery

Please check here for help solving common issues.
maximilianvoss

System Crashs on Battery

Post by maximilianvoss »

Hello,
I received my RS2 yesterday. I charged the device over night and was trying it this morning.
Unfortunately, it works all well as long as the device is still plugged in. After unplugging it, I was able to play a couple minutes and then it went all black. After restarting it, it booted almost half way and died again.
* Has anybody experienced similar behavior?
* What power adapter do you use to charge the RS2? - I took the one of my kindle.
* What are the minimum requirements for a power adapter, and what's recommended?
* How can I indicate if the battery got really charged?

Thanks a lot for your help, because I'm looking forward to have awesome hours playing my old favorite games
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: System Crashs on Battery

Post by Admin »

I'm not sure but I think the kindle charger does not have enought A rating.
You need a 5V charger with 1.5A minimum. For example 5V 1A is not enough, 5V 2A is OK.
Can you try another charger and see if it solves your issue?

You should have a LED turning ON when the unit is charging. Then when it's fully charged the LED should turn OFF (5 or 6 hours later)

Note : connecting to a computer USB port does not provide enough power. Computer USB are usually 0.5A max.
maximilianvoss

Post by maximilianvoss »

Hi,
was now changing to a 2.8A USB adapter.
I see some interesting behaviors:
* it does not always load - so after charging over night, it is still not full
* the RS2 powers on on connecting to the adapter
* battery stats in the retrorangepi console (login screen) are not very accurate. After 5min of charging it pops from 5% to 95%
* the first couple boots after charging the RS2 it seems the battery is empty and it goes off
maximilianvoss

Post by maximilianvoss »

Hi,
am I doing something wrong around charging?
I plug it in, the device powers up, I shut it down and leave it at the outlet. Unfortunately, even after a couple hours of charging, it seems still to be empty. After charging, while powering on, it runs for a couple seconds/minutes and dies afterwards.
Anyone with similar experince?
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

Maybe it helps. I just checked the battery with a Multimeter and it shows a voltage of 4.35V.
Hi Max,

4.35V is max voltage. This means your battery is 100% charged.

There could be several reasons for this issue.

Are you using USB devices ? Have you installed a SSD in the RetroStone2?

Either the battery pack is faulty. Or it can be the motherboard which has a shortcut draining too much power from the battery. Bringing the battery to “over discharge current protection mode”.

1 – By chance do you have a USB multimeter cable? Something like this :

aliexpress cable or this asset.conrad.com/media10/isa/160267/c1/-/en/1400527_LB_00_FB/image.jpg

If so can you please check the current drawn by the RetroStone2 when you use it while cable is connected? Check current with battery connected and without battery.

2 – I guess you already tried reseting the battery? Also can you check if the battery connector looks OK and does not look broken or something?
Beads3

Post by Beads3 »

I am having the same issues. When I plug the charger in either the top led comes on and stays on or top and bottom come on then go off after about 1 min. Then after it has been charging (or so I think) for a while and I turn it on, it does the same with the top and bottom leds on then turns off after about 30 seconds to a min. The screen never really turns on/ displays anything but black. I am going to try re flashing my SD card. The unit worked and booted the very first time I turned it on with the newly flashed SD card but that is the only time.

**UPDATE**
I reflashed the SD and now it boots up every time. The LEDs are a little confusing but it's working properly. Now the menu music isn't working anymore... but I'm sure another refresh will fix that as well.