"I have received mine" thread

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
shnukms

Re: "I have received mine" thread

Post by shnukms »

Admin wrote:First order number by default on woocommerce is about 330 so in fact you'r one of the first after-kickstarter backer.

If you have any trouble with your kit, please send me an email at hello@8bcraft.com because I'm getting messages from everywhere it's hard to deal with them!
Hi Pierre, would you have an estimate of when mine would arrive? I'm order number 506 from your webstore.

Thanks
greavous

Post by greavous »

I'm #402 on the website orders. Gmail must be wondering why I'm checking my inbox so much more than usual!

Can't wait to get the good news of a tracking number but looks like I'm gonna have to :(

I've been checking the updates on the kickstarter page so hopefully it will get dispatched this week.
shnukms

Post by shnukms »

Admin wrote:First order number by default on woocommerce is about 330 so in fact you'r one of the first after-kickstarter backer.
Hi Pierre, would you know when they will ship order #506 from the website?
leathco

Post by leathco »

shnukms wrote:
I'm not Pierre, but I might be able to help with this question.

All of the orders are already packed and good to go. The shipping company for some reason can only take 200 to 400 packages a week though, so they have been shipping the maximum they can every week. As of last week 820 had been shipped, and I think more went out either Friday or today, so add 200 to 400 to that number. There were a total of 1,423 individual Raspiboys ordered on Kickstarter if you add them all up, but some of those are two packs, five packs or in one case, a 100 pack. Than from this site there has been another 200 or so orders (maybe more, using your order number as a guesstimate). So, they are over half way through shipping. If yours has not gone out yet, there is the possibility it has gone out very recently and you just haven't gotten a tracking number yet, or it will ship in the next couple weeks or so.

Again, not an official answer, but that is my best guess from perusing the Kickstarter updates and the forum here.
shnukms

Post by shnukms »

leathco wrote:
shnukms wrote:
I'm not Pierre, but I might be able to help with this question.

All of the orders are already packed and good to go. The shipping company for some reason can only take 200 to 400 packages a week though, so they have been shipping the maximum they can every week. As of last week 820 had been shipped, and I think more went out either Friday or today, so add 200 to 400 to that number. There were a total of 1,423 individual Raspiboys ordered on Kickstarter if you add them all up, but some of those are two packs, five packs or in one case, a 100 pack. Than from this site there has been another 200 or so orders (maybe more, using your order number as a guesstimate). So, they are over half way through shipping. If yours has not gone out yet, there is the possibility it has gone out very recently and you just haven't gotten a tracking number yet, or it will ship in the next couple weeks or so.

Again, not an official answer, but that is my best guess from perusing the Kickstarter updates and the forum here.
RetroJack

Post by RetroJack »

Backer 390, early bird with extra USB port and biggest battery. not received tracking number yet. hope all is ok. I'm sure i haven't been forgotten
leathco

Post by leathco »

Got mine in. Pretty happy, pros and cons.

Pros: Very easy assembly. It's possible to have ready to go in 20 minutes. The size fits very well in the hands. The D Pad in particular is well designed, it pivots in the middle, making it great for most games. The 8bcraft PCB makes nice use of expanding the handheld with USB ports, a headphone jack, and volume control.

Cons: Even after making the alterations to config.txt, the screen is very blurry, guessing it's a config issue but not sure what the proper config would be. The volume is pretty low when set to maximum, and there is some electronic bleed through the speaker which likely comes from insufficient shielding of the speaker cables. It would be nice to have access to the SD card from outside the unit instead of requiring a complete disassembly to get to it. It is not possible to charge the unit with the power on.

I know the cons look bad, but for being a home made project it looks very professionally done. It does the job quite well. Another minor niggle is that it (currently) does not work with a Pi 0 W (I have one but will not risk trying it and frying the 8bcraft board), but I can't count that as a con as the Pi 0 W came out after the kickstarter.

Right now I am using USB Rom Service to load my card with games. I ordered a USB Wifi dongle to install some other stuff via RetroPie, and also ordered a Mini HDMI to fullsize HDMI cable so its easier to see while I am working on it. Hoping someone posts some updated alterations to the config.txt (or just uploads their own config.txt) that makes the screen more viewable.

EDIT: I have not seen this mentioned anywhere yet, but it's important on first boot to go into the RetroPie menu, audio, and turn up PCM audio, otherwise the speaker is very quiet. I have mine set on 80, it seems to give good sound without being too loud and worrying about blowing out the speaker.
wh0c4rez

Post by wh0c4rez »

Got mine two days ago and I agree with leathco, very easy assembly; especially following the instructions found here on the site. The only assembly/installation issue I had was my own doing. I failed to realize that I needed the Raspberry 0/1 image of RetroPie. I already had RetroPie installed on an SD card from a Pi2 I had and tried to use that, but the image failed to load and I couldn't tell why for a while. Finally figured it out and got the correct image loaded.

I also see the same Cons that leatco listed. I've played around with the contrast/brightness of the display trying to find a way to make this better to read, but haven't found the optimum settings for me. The emulationstation display is very, very tiny and I don't think brightness/contrast is going to resolve the issue for me; I cannot read the menus at all.

Overall, I am incredibly happy with the product. It is a solid build and one of the best kickstarters that I've participated in. I know that this was delayed a number of times, but I am thankful I patiently waited for this. Top notch!
leathco

Post by leathco »

Sadly, my unit has suffered the black screen failure that others have experienced, even though I was using a Regular Pi 0 and not the Pi 0 W. Pierre is sending me a new board, and I am sending the original back so that hopefully they can find the cause of the black screen problem. Thanks to Pierre for responding via email fast, I know he has to be very busy right now.
Husten

Post by Husten »

hi,
early baker, got mine a few days ago. i use a zero W with deaktivated wifi and deactivated bluetooth. everythink worked fine. than i activated wifi again, and it still works.

just as an info. wifi does not destroys it every time :) good luck ;)