"I have received mine" thread

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
StrangersWrath

Re: "I have received mine" thread

Post by StrangersWrath »

I didn't get mine in time for Christmas, despite ordering in November, but better late than never!

I'd pre-configured my pi in preparation so I managed to get everything unpacked and assembled within half an hour. I love the design and how easy it is to put together. Looking forward to future projects!
breeman

Post by breeman »

breeman wrote:
Registry error wrote:Still no update since Nov 29th / 30th

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment, We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece.
I'm in the same boat. For two whole weeks the tracking updated every other day with "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" only to change to "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment, We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece." on December 4th.

Been radio silence since then.

Contacted Pierre to see if he could provide any additional info (he said he was going to ask the forwarder about it).

Maybe it's just stuck in customs or something, to eventually be released and shipped to me, and I have to be patient.
Pierre informed me that over a dozen packages of Raspiboys did not make it through customs due to a security check and were returned. Mine must have been among them. I just got a new tracking number this morning, so hopefully there's no issues this time and my Raspiboy makes it to my home in the U.S.!
Shay

Post by Shay »

It arrived! Finally! :D I'm in Ireland for any other people in UK Region and are curious. I will set it up later and update you guys here :)
Shay

Post by Shay »

I received mine. Here is my experience setting it up.

So it took me a little longer than 30 minutes because I had an issue connecting the screen to the PCB. Following along with Pierre's video I first tried it without taking the screen out. This was tough because the clip which closes onto the LCD connector is hard to press without intereferring with the stuff on the other side. I was afraid of leaning on the stuff and bending it. My advice is, TAKE the SCREEN OUT and clip it to the PCB. Pierre's video tutorial shows the clip for the connector BUT it is the other way around. On the newest model its facing in towards the PCB board.

I was worried that the screen was broken or I had damaged the connector. After multiple attempts at connecting it, I finally took the screen out and made sure it was in perfectly. What threw me then was the fact that once the battery is connected, the screen comes on and makes a weird pattern. This is normal, because the screen is in an ON state whilst the actual RPi is in an OFF state. The screen must show something. I would advise leaving the switch to OFF, because it makes you think the screen is broken. I thought the connection was broken multiple times. The key here is to flick the switch on the back to OFF before setting it up. The only way to truely test if everything is working is connecting it and screwing it together with the three original screws. This guarantees everything is pressed together.

One of the first times I clipped it together my triggers weren't werking and neither was Up and Down on the D-PAD. The solution here was to just take all buttons out and place them back in again, pressing hard on them so that they do not slip out upon closure of the case.

To Summarize:

- Open up case
- Take out Screen and connect it to PCB. Make sure you feel the click of the connection
- Tripple check button pads / buttons are secure and snug
- Slowly close case, keeping an eye on Trigger buttons
- Insert 3 screws and test
- If screen isn't working properly / buttons ain't being recognized, start over and don't give up until its working!
zzeb

Post by zzeb »

Bonjour a tous,
juste un petit message pour parler de mon expérience.
Le montage est la partie plaisante du kit.
L'installation sur carte SD du logiciel est simple même avec le changement du fichier config.
Le montage est assez simple à réalisé à part deux opérations: monter l'écran dans le connecteur de la carte pcb et surtout refermer la boite avec tout bien a sa place:) mais il faut bien mériter son raspiboy un minimum.
La config après montage est un peu lourde avec un clavier pour modifier la taille du texte, il n'est pas possible de modifier avant sur un ordinateur directement sur la carte SD dans un fichier config?;
idem pour changer le theme, je crois que le plus simple c'est de connecter le raspiboy au wifi mais il faut un dongle supplémentaire.

Enfin pour parler du produit en lui même,
pour les points positifs : L'utilisation et le transfert de rom est un jeu d'enfant sur clé usb, elle se copie automatiquement sur la carte SD apparemment, les jeux tournent bien et tout semble fluide, c'est épatant d'avoir une console retro au creux de la mains, qu'on assemble soit même

Pour les points négatifs : l'écran, que je trouve vraiment mauvais il fait tout juste le travail. les couleurs et la définition sont décevantes avant d'acheter j'avais un doute sur le choix d'un écran 3.5 pouces ça me paraissait petit, au final c'est juste correct ça reste jouable sur beaucoup de jeux, surtout sur des jeux émulés d'ancienne console portable, pour les autres c'est très limite.
la manette n'est pas vraiment de bonne qualité non plus la croix directionnelle surtout n'est pas très réactive et il faut appuyer avec un peu de force.

Le tout reste plaisant et jouable étonnamment fluide quand on voit la taille de l'électronique, mais une version amélioré avec un écran de meilleur résolution/couleur serait une belle évolution.
Bravo tout de même pour se projet qui permet a un bidouilleur limité comme moi de se fabriquer une console portable rétro :)
djjose1964

Post by djjose1964 »

Bonjour ZZEB,
j ai eu les mêmes problèmes que toi avec la croix directionelle. Étant donné que j`ai commandé le kit complet , j`avais reçu 3 manettes USB.
J`en ai démonté une et pris la plaque avec les boutons. Il faut évidemment remplacer les 2 circuits de contrôle L+R avec les originaux.
Au final , ca ne réponds pas tout à fait comme une vraie manette mais c est mieux que celle d`origine , bonne chance
Whoody

Post by Whoody »

Hello Everyone!

I'm new in the forum, I've recived mine yesterday, I'm from Madrid, so for people in Spain a Couple of weeks and you can have it!.

I assembled it last night while watching a movie (Dunkirk, by the way :) ), so I did it very quetly, it take me an hour or so. I think if you're doing only one thing, it take you less than that.

Very easy to assemble, I did it at the first attempt, and I'm a little clumsy, so it's very, very easy.
At first, R Button didn't work well, but after 2 or 3 pulsations, it looks like the rubber got engaged in place and it works smoothy.

I have a couple of thoughs/recomendations about the assembling instructions and for the kit itself:

- Don't mount the game pad first, althought in the video he did it. It's difficult to connect the screen ribbon to the pcb, more difficult with the buttons and the rubbers moving everywhere, and the cables do not interfere, so you can mount it later.

- Again, the first thing that I would do is connect the screen ribbon. For me is the worst and most delicate thing.

For the kit: I have the 1.2 version, so, if you're planning a 1.3 please, please, change the lcd screen, is the worst part of the kit, althoght it increase the price of the kit, it's worthy. At least, give the option. I have a raspberry pi 3B with the official 7" touch screen running retropie and it can't compare, not only for the size, the resolution is absolutly better.

I didn't try it very much, for the audio issue, I can say that if you put the system volume at 100%, the white noise is almost noted. In any case, almost every time I'll use it in the public transport, and the thing is loud!, so I'll use headphones :D

I will coment more when I really put it to the test, but for the moment is a very good kit, I'm pleased with it. Now I'm looking for a case to carry it, I'll post it if I find one that fits.

Regards.
Telev

Post by Telev »

Whoody wrote:Hello Everyone!
For the kit: I have the 1.2 version, so, if you're planning a 1.3 please, please, change the lcd screen, is the worst part of the kit, althoght it increase the price of the kit, it's worthy. At least, give the option. I have a raspberry pi 3B with the official 7" touch screen running retropie and it can't compare, not only for the size, the resolution is absolutly better.
The screen is not in fault. This is a design choice ! For use the hdmi output for the TV, the screen is connected on the composite output.
Here some comparaison between composite and rgb out
Whoody

Post by Whoody »

Telev wrote:
Whoody wrote:Hello Everyone!
The screen is not in fault. This is a design choice ! For use the hdmi output for the TV, the screen is connected on the composite output.
Here some comparaison between composite and rgb out

Oh, I didn't know that the screen use the composite output, it explains everything, thankyou! I know the diferents between composite/rgb output, I have several old systems and another raspberry, but the 3B model, and a pc with emulators, and I have to use the composite for the old tv's, but in this case it's less evident, when I try the Raspberry pi 3 in a crt monitor/tv with composite, it looks totally crappy, I use a HDMI-RGB conversor, it looks crap, but less crap :lol:

I've tried the raspiboy a little more, with the brightness almost at maximun and after a while playing, it looks like a little better. I'm having problems with the integrated controller on the Neo Geo emulator, it doesn't works, but this is another history that I have to try it more and look up the configuration better.

Regards!
vdubjim

Post by vdubjim »

Had fun with mine, pretty neat setup