My journey with RaspiBoy - don't do these! -topic :oops:

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
rolle

My journey with RaspiBoy - don't do these! -topic :oops:

Post by rolle »

Hi!

Wanted to share my story just in case someone is assembling or having same problems, and to warn others.

TL;DR:
1. DO NOT use any charging wires while RaspiBoy is on
2. DO NOT plug the battery to speaker
3. DO NOT touch the electronics part of the LCD screen cable

These will most likely damage RaspiBoy.

Full story:

I got my RaspiBoy in time many weeks ago. Super easy to assembly, didn't have any problems except left shoulder was jammed a bit so had to open it up again and close again. It was all working great, but then started tindering too much, because wanted easier way to transfer files. I had a micro USB data cable and tried to set up data transfer. Little did I know that PCB can overheat while RaspiBoy is on OR it doesn't support data transfer anyway, so POFF, a bit of smoke, resulting fried PCB...

Sent feedback to Pierre and as kind as he is, after couple of weeks got replacement for the PCB. Was a bit of hangover when started to assembly and had to open the case again for 10 times because all buttons didn't go properly in their place when closing the case. Frustrated and unconcentrated as I was, I shouldn't try to assembly it that time. Every time when it worked, buttons were wrongly in place and when buttons were perfectly, the screen wouldn't turn on for some reason.

When I finally got everything to work, screen remained black. Perhaps I touched the electronics and static killed it, because leds and lights were working fine, as well as the speaker. Also Zero was intact, because HDMI works.

Then, maybe 20th time I opened the case and tried from the start and plugged battery to speaker port: POFF, smoke, broken PCB...

I just hope I'll get another chance, just ordered a replacement screen and PCB, I hope Pierre still has them. I really want this to work. If third time doesn't go as planned, I'm going to give up.

I just had to put this story out here, to be less anxious about it, haha. Thanks for reading. Let me share your story if you have had issues with these as well.