Raspiboy v1.2

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
greavous

Raspiboy v1.2

Post by greavous »

If you haven't noticed v1.2 is here!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1461

Can't reply to that topic so started a new one here to discuss it.

It mostly sounds good to me apart from one thing. I quite like the indicator LEDs as they are now so you have a gauge of how much battery you have left instead of binary new options of a light to say its charged or one to say its low power but that's just me.

Play and charge is of course awesome news!

And being able to map the button on the back manually is a nice touch. 'Insert Coin' for MAME is the first thing that comes to mind.
sygyzy

Re: Raspiboy v1.2

Post by sygyzy »

I would say half the portable Retro Pie projects have a low battery indicator, and only a portion have a full battery indicator. I think using 4 LED's to show battery level is overkill. It would be fine if there was a way to show a low battery light, or even a software method to do an overlay on the screen just to give you a heads up to save and shutdown.

You already have a dedicated button for insert coin in MAME. IIRC, it's defaulted to Select.
greavous

Post by greavous »

sygyzy wrote:I would say half the portable Retro Pie projects have a low battery indicator, and only a portion have a full battery indicator. I think using 4 LED's to show battery level is overkill. It would be fine if there was a way to show a low battery light, or even a software method to do an overlay on the screen just to give you a heads up to save and shutdown.

You already have a dedicated button for insert coin in MAME. IIRC, it's defaulted to Select.

It wasn't defaulted for me but having it on the back instead can be a nice touch.

Why would you not want to know how much battery is left? The new options are even more pointless.

Power On - Well I know its on because I turned it on.
Low Battery - We already have that.
Charging - It shows that by the LED sequence when charging.
Full Battery - Again we know that from the existing LED setup.

All this does is reduce the level of information being put out by the LEDs and provides no new insight at all. It is a step backwards like the (not so) recent Apple approach of people complaining about innacurate 'time on battery remaining' estimates so they just got rid of it all together.

I imagine its due to the new power chip being used is the same as every other portable project and hence there is no way to change it, but it's disappointing as it means unless you wanna get screwed you're gonna have to fully charge it. There has been no indication of how much charge is left when the 'Low Power' light comes on. You may have 30-60 minutes left. You may have 30 seconds. If that happens at the beginning of a train/plane journey you may not be too happy about!
schalk27

Post by schalk27 »

Well, i honestly also like the LED function befor more. Because i want to know exactly how much battery there is left. And the information that it is on or it is charging is completly useless because it is logical! I wish to have it the way it is now or only with one charging LED which changes its color green, orange and red. The other buttons can come with functions like sleeping mode, or for selfconfigurations. Well just with unique and useful functions...

Im very exited how the Project is moving forward!
Shay

Post by Shay »

Ordered one of these this week, along with a Raspberry Pi Zero. CANNOT WAIT FOR IT!

I see they will be ready Nov 5 - Nov 10? I live in Ireland meaning it will take up to 2 weeks for delivery? So it is safe to say I can expect it end of November / Early December? Just in time for Christmas :D
M-ACE

Post by M-ACE »

Will the Raspiboy v1.2 work with a Rasberry Pi Zero W?
finishlast

Post by finishlast »

In the other thread they said yes. I'm not sure about the wifi part though.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91
SmokeyOdin

Post by SmokeyOdin »

I'm hoping we hear an update this week letting us know if they have started shipping yet!

I'm rather excited about getting this :D
Telev

Post by Telev »

@admin
How work the LED status on board version 1.2 ?
With a battery fully discharged, when I plug the charger, the LED 3 and 4 are ON.
LED 4 is not supposed to be a fully charged battery ?
Vinc3Has3

Post by Vinc3Has3 »

Telev wrote:@admin
How work the LED status on board version 1.2 ?
With a battery fully discharged, when I plug the charger, the LED 3 and 4 are ON.
LED 4 is not supposed to be a fully charged battery ?
What I noticed, is plugging in the RaspiBoy to power, the third light comes on, and the 4th light actually blinks veeeery slooowly. On, then off. I haven't watched for any rhyme or reason (I think it actually slows down even more as the battery level increases) - so sometimes I looked, and it seemed like the 4th light was off - until I waited and watched for a bit, when it came back on.

When the whole process is done - the third light is off completely, and the 4th light is on completely, no more flashing. Then, it seems to be fully charged.