What Should i Know Before i Power the RaspiBoy On?

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
ThunderBoyDavid

What Should i Know Before i Power the RaspiBoy On?

Post by ThunderBoyDavid »

i got my kit. It's put together. All is good. (i hope) NOW..... What do i need to know before i power the unit on?
Are there any Do's or DO-NOT's that i need to know about. i tell You were this is coming from....
i saw a few threads talking about the RaspiBoy NOT Turning back on after being used because it was NOT shut down properly.
From what i have read...Just use the shutdown option in the RetroPie Menu and when the screen looks crazy.. it's safe to turn it off.
OH.. and i have read that it's not good to charge the unit and have the unit turned on at the same time.
i did see a table of Hotkeys on the RetroPie site. But until i start using the unit.. the key combinations haven't stuck in my head yet.
i'm scared that i'm not going to remember the Hotkeys... and might screw something up.

So.. Yeah... i've had it for a few days now.... and i have yet to power it on. i'm too scared to turn it on.
i have this knack of breaking things. Usually around 5 minutes after taking it out of the box.
Some encouragement and some good advice would really help right now!!!
Thanks, David, ThunderBoyDavid

Every Fear Hides A Wish

OH -- Question... If i connect the USB drive and let the RaspiBoy do it's thing... Then connect the USB to my Desktop and copy over my ROMs and transfer them over to the RaspiBoy.... That's putting them ON the RaspiBoy... How do take them back off?? What if some of the ROMs don't play well? Or Don't work at all? What is the procedure to taking them back off? ----Thanks!!!
YES.. i do have the Raspberry Pi Zero.. but have not setup Wifi yet.. because.. i haven't turned it on yet.
Would transferring ROMs be easier using Wifi or USB???? ----Okay--- Thanks!!!!
Every Fear Hides A Wish
Mejos

Re: What Should i Know Before i Power the RaspiBoy On?

Post by Mejos »

I've been observing the Raspberry Pi to stay approximatly 5 seconds longer powered afer the screen goes crazy, so i always wait a bit before I turn the unit off just for safety. I don't know if it makes any difference. You might want to check this post for more viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1457

To transfer and delete Roms I'm currently using and Raspberry Pi Zero 1.3 with a wifi usb dongle, but you might be able to delete them through the Filemanager of Retropie.
sygyzy

Post by sygyzy »

No, there is almost nothing you can do that will irreparably damage the Raspberry Pi. Assemble it, pop in a SD card flashed with the Retro Pie image, and turn it on.
greavous

Post by greavous »

sygyzy wrote:No, there is almost nothing you can do that will irreparably damage the Raspberry Pi. Assemble it, pop in a SD card flashed with the Retro Pie image, and turn it on.
Depends what you class as irreparable.

Charging while playing has been confirmed to have issues due to the chip on the v1 raspiboy PCB. Whilst you can get a replacement I wouldn't recommend it as by now it's been reported enough on here and the kickstarter that you should be aware of it.

Not properly shutting down(start -> shutdown before turning off the hardware switch) can cause the SD card to corrupt.

To the OP: I'd recommend checking the various posts on this forum, some of which go through all of these things specifically for new users and are labelled as such, and ignore the above comment from sygyzy