Is my ribbon connector faulty?

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
jamesd

Is my ribbon connector faulty?

Post by jamesd »

Hi, i got a raspiboy just a week ago, and i can’t figure out how to lock in the screen’s ribbon connector to the pcb.
On the tutorial on this site, it looks like the black flap is on the edge of the pcb. On mine its the opposite side. And it doesnt lock shut, so as i assemble the device, the screen ribbon cable wobbles out.
Any ideas?
https://imgur.com/gallery/wQsoZ
Graylag

Re: Is my ribbon connector faulty?

Post by Graylag »

It was same with mine, i believe this is one of minor changes of v1.2 PCB revision.

The flap can be locked, but it is really hard. I fought with it for several minutes as well. My recomendation is to push the ribbon in as far as it can and then start pressing with your fingernail (or other suitable instument, but I do not recommend screwdriver, asi it damages the flap). Push really hard, preferably right on one side. If it does not work, just push harder. Eventually you will lock this edge and you can start pushing the rest of it down.
If you are really worried, try to lock it without ribbon cable. It will be hard even without it, but you can check it can be locked.

For me this was second most anyoing part od assembly (first being bumper buttons), but rest assured it can be done and afterwards works well.
jamesd

Post by jamesd »

Thanks for your reply. As you said, it did go eventually after i pressed really hard. Cheers.
Shay

Post by Shay »

Had the same issue. Especially having to lean on components on the other side of PCB in order to apply pressure to the flap. There's no easy fix but to practise pressing the flap closed without the wire in first. It really needs to be firmly pressed. It will click eventually.

It was also the most frustrating part for me. Also note, the screen will always have weird lines across it upon initial boot / when you shutdown retropie. Once the off switch is pressed, the fuzzy screen stuff goes away!
souya

Post by souya »

Hi,

I have one of those newer PCB and am having screen connection issues too. My screen keeps flickering when I hold my raspiboy up.

As you can see in the screenshot, my ribbon cable could only go in this far. Is it supposed to come out from the black flap end?? I don't see how the flap is helping even when it's closed, considering the ribbon cable never comes into contact with the flap.

Would be great if someone can post an image of how it should look like.

Thanks!
Ye
Attachments
ribbon cable
ribbon cable
PCB.jpg (34.16 KiB) Viewed 11847 times
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

This seems correct. I think problem is between both boards. See my other comment.

Also if my other reply does not help please make a video of that "flickering"