Emulation in Raspberry pi zero

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
Surfi80

Emulation in Raspberry pi zero

Post by Surfi80 »

:D buenas tardes :D

Good afternoon, here is a Spanish fan with great desire for this project to go forward.

I have a question, the Raspberry pi zero is not very powerful, which systems will emulate without problems?

Thank you very much for this great idea, Don Pierre-Louis Boyer
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Emulation in Raspberry pi zero

Post by Admin »

Zero is less powerfull than other pi, but it's consuming less, so battery can last longer.
I did not tried all the different systems on the pi zero! I think everything up to gameboy advance run very smoothly. N64 will probably be laggy (but I did not tried though)
buzz

Post by buzz »

Actually pizero is clocked a bit higher than pi1 ;) (original pi1 was 700mhz, zero is 1ghz)
el_toro

Post by el_toro »

buzz wrote:Actually pizero is clocked a bit higher than pi1 ;) (original pi1 was 700mhz, zero is 1ghz)
But you could overclock it to 1GHZ pretty easily, the "game changer" is the RAM, doubled as in the 1st gen RaspBerry PI
Anyway, I'd say that everything up to 16-bit era can be emulated pretty well. Everything above this might be hard to emulate, but I will know more when i'll get my Zero and can stress it a bit!
Surfi80

Post by Surfi80 »

I'm interested to know if NeoGeo and Cps3 will run on raspberry pi zero
buzz

Post by buzz »

Surfi80 wrote:I'm interested to know if NeoGeo and Cps3 will run on raspberry pi zero
any suggestion which emulator to try? i have a pi0 on my desk idling
screech

Post by screech »

@Buzz

You can try http://www.recalbox.com/ or https://retropie.org.uk/

Recalbox is really easy to install and work out of the box.
Retropie is easy to install too, little harded to configure, but have more "possibility" of customisation/configuration.

Both work well on PI0 with lot's of good emulator ;)
leathco

Post by leathco »

Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, Turbografx-16 should all be playable on the Raspberry Pi Zero with no problems. Some MAME games should run fine, but I think CPS3 would lag. CPS2 should play with no issue though. Neo Geo is questionable, I think it would run with minor lag. PSX and N64 would both have some heavy lag.
Lobezno

Post by Lobezno »

I'm talking with facts, no assumptions or lucubrations. With Zero overclocked @1000 or Zero W:
- Sega 32X, Sega CD and Neo-Geo pocket laggy, forget.
- Forget N64, at all.
- PSX not at 100%, some titles very playable.
- All the Game Boys, GG, Master System, Genesis, NES, SNES and Turbografx at 60fps.
- MAME, FBA (CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, Cave) and Neo-Geo at 60fps.