wifi on raspiboy

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
Stormbringer

wifi on raspiboy

Post by Stormbringer »

hi there,
i was wondering, being raspberry pi zero the great tiny piece of genius it is, wouldn't that be a shame not giving it the freedom to connect to the internet?
from the very beginning, i was mostly sure that raspiboy would have embedded such a thing, since it doesn't seem to be the case - please, stop me if i got this wrong - is there a chance there could be enough space to put physically a wi-fi unit on the pi and, on the other hand, have some support here on the forums to make it possibile and turn this thing into something really cool and useful for our soon-to-be-portable-masterpiece?

i read this arcticle (which is just one in many more, i guess) that makes it seem really easy to connect a wi-fi dongle on the pi, so that it could use internet given prior configuration in the OS:
https://n-o-d-e.net/wifi.html

i know close to nothing about what is hot right now about internet on raspbian, nor if and how could software like retropie make use of internet, but it could just very well be awesome, say (just fantasyzing about it) play fighting games from different emulated platforms if the software had some kind of wi-fi mode for matches over the internet.

leaving fantasy aside, any portable system with an internet connection would be strongly empowered by it, just think about firmware e software updates.
anyway, i am leaving this here, hoping for this to become "food for thought" or something like that.
sorry for the post that could make me sound quite ignorant because i am so ill-informed, but i'm sure some more knowledgeable guys than me can very well catch my drift and build upon it anything useful that could be said.

see ya
surfzone

Re: wifi on raspiboy

Post by surfzone »

You can use an USB Wifi dongle into a USB port
Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer »

you are right, that too.
my idea was a bit of an overkill if we see that in hindsight, but couldve been good anyway to embed a "network card" on the raspiboy itself.
anyway, that is a good solution too.

so, the raspiboy would benefit from that, but how? does it all depend on the OS that it will run? will retropie be able to use wifi? (i am quite a noob)
surfzone

Post by surfzone »

An internal module may impact on battery duration if you not use.

I think by the moment, the only use is for loading roms with ssh or samba
surfzone

Post by surfzone »

New solution...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... ns-family/

I think that can support PS3 gamepads with the bluetooth
Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer »

well, shit.
gotta buy another pi :D

*EDIT* AND IT'S ALREADY OUT OF STOCK
Last edited by Stormbringer on Wed 1 Mar 2017 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer »

the question: will raspiboy be compatible? i think the size is the same