Useful scripts for the Pi Zero W

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RaspiBoy Kit
Adrian_86

Useful scripts for the Pi Zero W

Post by Adrian_86 »

Hello Guys !

I have writen some custom scripts for the retropie menu to toggle the bluetooth and the Wifi module ON and OFF as you need it. There are two independent scripts... One is only for bluetooth and the other is just for the wifi module. I also included a third script for a safe shutdown in the retropie menu. So you don't have to press START,QUIT and SHUTDOWN SYSTEM in the emulationstaion menu any more. All scripts have icons and the gamelist.xml file for the retropiemenu is also updated to name them nicely and correct. Just follow my instructions below...

I know that you can edit the config.txt file to do this too, but this is for those who want to use the WiFi and bluetooth features of the pi Zero W only when needed. These scripts are for users who like it fast and convenient... So for example you can toogle with just a click the WiFi ON to update retropie and than toggle it immediately back OFF after you're done with the update. You also can do the same with bluetooth !

So here is how to do it:

1.) SSH into the pi via Putty and type the following command in:

sudo apt-get install rfkill ( This will install the Linux-Kernel subsystem that allows you to toggle the wireless connectivities of the W )
Here is a youtube video if you do not know on how to SSH into the pi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEJoQZBSlSs

2.) Next up you have to login via Winscp as root into the pi to get the permission to copy the files from my dropbox link over to your correct pi folders. Here is a youtube video on how to login as root via Winscp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6RRRsqG9nQ

3.) After you have root acces via Winscp just copy the files from my dropbox to the correspoding folders of your pi. After you're done, just reboot your pi to make these new changes. After rebooting go to the Retropie menu and you will find new scripts with icons there. Just click on them to utilize..

So here is the link where you can download:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cqqitynnuwbj ... GmN8a?dl=0

Hope you like it !
thexter

Re: Useful scripts for the Pi Zero W

Post by thexter »

These scripts are great!
I did not need root access for WINSCP to copy the files over.

If i update RetroPie, will it overwrite the gamelist.xml and remove the new toggles and shutdown?
trantornator

Post by trantornator »

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Hopefully this will help with my overheating problems.
Pietze

Post by Pietze »

Awesome, I love it when the community contributes new features! Especially the safe shutdown short code is a good idea. I want to have it on my other retropie device as well.
mwebber18

Post by mwebber18 »

be careful. dont just copy the whole "opt" or "home" folder you will delete scripts if you replace it all. Then you have to manually redownload RetroPie-Setup and redownload EmulationStation scripts.
Vilikt

Post by Vilikt »

Hello !

Really thank you for your work !!! This add a cool feature to keep battery's life :P
Fantomas35

Post by Fantomas35 »

Are they for Rpi 3, too?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Great scripts, really useful.
With the new batch of Raspiboys being released into the wild, thought this could do with a bump!!
DunnPenny

Post by DunnPenny »

Hi...i have an issue that turns off my Raspberry Pi Zeros from 1 second to another.Activity LED is off, no HDMI signal, power on usb port. I am running them 24/7: this is why all my partitions are based on f2fs and my / partition is mounted readonly. When i am running a script my Zero's get turned off after a few downloads. The failure is absolutely reproducible.

turnkey pcb assembly
Last edited by DunnPenny on Wed 16 Mar 2022 22:00, edited 3 times in total.
lhimo

Post by lhimo »

Awesome scripts!

I have an issue though with the Wifi toggle.. It does show up in the config menu, but with no icon. Same for the two on/off items inside. What can it be?

Thanks

EDIT: turns out it was a problem with uppercase letters in picture filename and folder