new way to easily copy from usb to internal

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
outz

new way to easily copy from usb to internal

Post by outz »

hello - i quickly create a usb to internal/sd storage copy script for easily transferring roms to your system.

can someone please give it a try and let me know your thoughts?

https://github.com/dereckhall/retroscripts

download the above, and copy RomCopy.sh to /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/
then set chmod +x /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/RomCopy.sh

make sure your fat32 usb drive has the following layout
# usbdrive: roms-folder:-> nes,snes,megadrive,etc folders with rom files contained within

now restart emulation station, and open up the retroipie section, you should now see a 'RomCopy' down toward the bottom

insert your usb drive, and select 'RomCopy'

let me know your results, thoughts etc.

it looks something like this:

https://youtu.be/_zsy0ElTJxE

Thanks everyone!
outz

Re: new way to easily copy from usb to internal

Post by outz »

i've added a few other features as well.

1. copies roms from usb to internal storage (must be in a folder similar to: roms/snes roms/nes)
2. added the ability to backup all internal roms, save games, scrape/coverart/images, gameslist data
3. added the ability to restore the backup mentioned above
4. added the ability to backup current wifi config data
5. added the ability to restore the backup mentioned above

mostly features i found tedious when flashing a new version of the os etc.

please share your thoughts

latest version is available:
https://github.com/dereckhall/retroscripts/releases

zxdunny

Post by zxdunny »

Excellent, I shall install this on my 'Stone. I don't often use external USB (I prefer Ethernet) but having the option is a good thing. I don't suppose you could add functionality to clone the current uSD card setup to an external drive? I have in mind the idea of ordering a 128GB uSD card and would like to simply transfer my current set up to that.
outz

Post by outz »

not sure how one would do that without some 3rd party cloning software being ported to arm
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

That's really neat! I just sent it to retrorangepi devs so they'll probably include it by default on retrorangepi.

Maybe a nice additional tweak would be to add an option to create all the roms folder on a empty USB stick?
It would be like this :
-First the user plug a empty USB stick on retrostone
-select option "create rom folders"
- then plug the USB stick on computer and populate the different folders with his roms
- then plug again on retrostone
- Then choose "copy roms"

What do you think?

Also this could be made to work with bios too?

I think it's really neat, even better than the auto copy of retropie. Because on the official retropie you don't know when the roms are finished to be copied or the progress.
outz

Post by outz »

awesome, thanks for the feedback!

shouldn't be a problem to add an option to create the rom folders.

im on the fence regarding the wifi backup option i added - im considering removing it as it kinda doesn't really fit with the rest of the script, and majority of users probably wont care about it

ill reply once ive added the rom folder option
outz

Post by outz »

please test and let me know your thoughts.

https://github.com/dereckhall/retroscripts/releases
grab the latest release
Beads3

Post by Beads3 »

This is an awesome little tweak. A few questions:

1) when you say backup save games does that mean save states?

2) when you restore a backup then copy new roms to internal does that only copy roms that were recently added or does that overwrite the ones that were just restored as well?

3) when you reflash an img you will have to repeat the steps to add this script to the SD card, correct?
outz

Post by outz »

1 - yeah, it backs up save states (the handful of times i tested it... so please test it yourself)

2 - the copy new roms functionality literally just copies every rom you have on your usb drive within the retropie/roms and retropie/bios folder. so if you have identical stuff on your internal storage the rom will get overwritten with an exact copy of the rom/bios whatever it is.

3 - yeah, when you reflash the os you'll need to add this script back to it. they've mentioned wanting to add this to the base image, so maybe that will happen and you won't need to add this script with every system update.

please try it out and let me know if you hit any bugs, or have any good ideas for features. it's kinda just me testing it out, and i'm sure i've missed some use cases.

thanks!
Beads3

Post by Beads3 »

OK so I tested it out. It works SO well! by far the easiest and comprehensive way to load roms. I only had 2 problems, and Im not entirely sure if they had to do with your script or the unstable OS...

1) When I tried backing up the roms, the percentage of completion would not move from 0% and the unit froze. This happened every single time i tried to backup (4 total). I had to switch the stone off/on. But when I inspected the USB it had the backup zip file created. I have not tried to restore this backup as of yet.(this is because the last img I flashed is the most stable one I have had and I don't want to ruin it!) But when a better img is uploaded I will see if the zip contains all the correct files.

2) When I tried to copy all 707 roms of my nes it would only do to about 346. I managed to get them all copied but it took some rearranging on the USB. This also happened when I tried copying my roms the old fashioned way from the retrostone desktop. So again, I don't know if its just the unstable software.

Anyway, I am very pleased with your work here, and I am shocked there aren't more people trying this/ commenting on it. Great job!