Retrostone screen

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Retrostone screen

Post by Admin »

Can you post pictures or video of your display?

I wonder if some might have hardware problem or if it's perception difference between people.
Brandon

Post by Brandon »

The screen is not great. But....

There are three buttons on the side of the Retrostone. There are the lcd controls. You can adjust brightness, contrast, color.
rogerp

Post by rogerp »

Thanks for replies.

I didn't know about the LCD controls, i'll check and see if i can improve colours/contrast.

Still i have done some video captures, you can see how the screen flickers in some scenarios. For example in this game, look at the small squares:

https://streamable.com/fa156

This is not of the video capture, this is how it is actually seen to the human eye.

Thanks
bedfellow

Post by bedfellow »

rogerp wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 12:01 Still i have done some video captures, you can see how the screen flickers in some scenarios. For example in this game, look at the small squares:

This is not of the video capture, this is how it is actually seen to the human eye.

Thanks
I get a similar flicker on the scroll bar in the wifi setup.
RescueGamer

Post by RescueGamer »

I think the problem you are posting here are general problems of the screen, maybe due to the driver, maybe they are caused by the av out the screen is using, or maybe is the screen itself. It's a fact that the screen is not displaying a good quality (not talking about the resolution, which I think is correct for the size).

Anyway the RetroStone is still an amazing device with great capabilities. Having that say, would be great to be able to improve the image quality/sharp by software (since seems that the signal is coming to the screen is not the best), or to have the option to upgrade the screen.

But as always, this is a work in progress device, not for all people, but if you like modifying, edit configs and that stuff is great because of his possibilities, and it's fun to be part of the process :)

Cheers!
Dystopian

Post by Dystopian »

rogerp wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 12:01 Thanks for replies.

I didn't know about the LCD controls, i'll check and see if i can improve colours/contrast.

Still i have done some video captures, you can see how the screen flickers in some scenarios. For example in this game, look at the small squares:

Thanks
The screen issue you have may be an emulation bug, for example this is what the Mega Drive looks like on default settings in picodrive and gensplus GX emulators. (The third emulator choice, advmess does not have the issue (I don't use it due to the rom warning at the start and the controls and menu are different)

(The vertical lines are from my camera not the Retrostone)

https://streamable.com/ccpyi

I tried changing shaders in Retroarch to better the picture but they would slow down or crash the Retrostone, the ones that worked would add a slight blur and cause the Retrostone to run very hot.

I fixed the issue after finding a setting in the gensplus GX emulator as seen below (setting not in the picodrive emulator)

https://streamable.com/gokeh

(Setting in gensplus GX, other emulators may have a similar setting or have nothing at all)

In game bring up retroarch menu (should be select, X)
you should be on the quick menu, if not select quick menu then options
Look for Blargg NTSC Filter
Change to Composite
Exit Retroarch
ruffnutts

Post by ruffnutts »

Can someone tell me font size and how to change the res as my screen is slightly to the left?

Thanks ruffnutts 8-)
Brandon

Post by Brandon »

That pixel flicker you are seeing is most likely composite crawl or composite ringing. You will not be able to get rid of it completely. But if you go in the the RetroArch settings for that ROM you should be able to turn on Bilinear filtering or other video filters that will blur the image a bit but suppress the crawl and ringing. RETROARCH>settings>video>Bilinear filtering. Set it to ON.

Also you could try adjusting the horizontal screen size by one or two pixels.
Settings>video>aspect ratio>custom.
Then adjust custom aspect radio width and height.

(you may want to write down the settings before changing them).
groo12

Post by groo12 »

Let me start by saying I think my Retrostone is awesome. Playing my PS1 games during my commute is great fun.

I have undertaken the headphone and D-pad mods and it still works!

I am using the Supreme software and the theme works really well on the screen.

As far as the screen goes, it works fine for most things.

I was wondering if it was possible to remove the current LCD and replace it with a similar sized HDMI and use one of those right angle HDMI connectors.

The case may need a little bit of work, but as it is open source, then someone in the community might undertake that. That is a skillset I do not possess, nor do I possess the technical knowledge to know if the above would work.

Just thinking out loud.
Brandon

Post by Brandon »

I've been working on modifying the RetroStone screen. I replaced it with a 3.5in IPS LCD with an HDMI input. Here is a link to a short video (work in progress):

https://vimeo.com/293888297