RetroStone not booting/crashing/freezing - Hardware issue - Please post here.

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RetroStone
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: RetroStone Crashing

Post by Admin »

viktor255 wrote: Fri 2 Nov 2018 08:30 Hi!

I recently received my own retrostone, for which i was really excited. Unfortunatly, dream turned into nightmare when i started to configure the device....

So i got the image to put on the sd card from the OrangePi webstite. The version of the image i used is RetroRangePi 4.2 Full Armbian, Debian Jessie. I also tried with an image of SupremeRetrostone. The SD card was prepared with Win32 Diskimager and was formatted beforeEnd with diskpart.

The sd card used first was the one provided with the console, but i also tried with a branded class 10 16 Go sd card later on as it wasn't helping at all.

The problem is that, when i launch the device,sometimes i am lucky enough to get to the main menu, choose a game and start playing for maybe 5 minutes if i am lucky, 30 sec on average and not at all for the worst case, then the screen shuts down, the music stops playing, i see the third led on the left still on. Then nothing else, i can just shutdown the device and start it again.

In the really worst case scenario, i boot the device and it cannot even pass the Retropie Logo with the PS1 music. same symptoms as explained above... It is really annoying for the prize of the device + shipping taxes. i was really expecting a device working fine, especially when all the reviewers give a thumb up for this thing.

I will precise that i used a phone charger for this, 5v and 2 amps. I tried let it charge overnight and then tried to use it but still same issue...
The problem also occures when on desktop mode, i tried to get the logs of the system, thinking i could find somethnig interresting to help but the pi user account does not have privileges to do so...

Could you please tell me what i am missing on the configuration maybe, or is it something i need to get the device back to Hong Kong ??

Any help would be appreciated :)
Thanks in advance.
I moved your topic to this thread. Can you please check first page of this topic and see if the questions solve your issue?
If not can you send me the report by email at hello@8bcraft.com so we can arrange replacement of the unit.
jgam

Re: RetroStone not booting/crashing/freezing - Hardware issue - Please post here.

Post by jgam »

1- Yes
2- Yes
3- Yes
4- yes
5- nothing connected
6- Etcher and win32diskimager both.
7- Yes multiple times
8- Battery is full
9- Yes 5V 2A
10- Retrorangepi RetroStone Full version and Slim version both don't work.
11- Always use software shutdown.
12- Yes, it did not help
13- Tested another SD and no luck either. Same behaviour with both.
14- Does not help
15- I tried to flash multiple times, cleaning each time with Diskpart, different SD, always the same behaviour : booting only 1 time and no more, blue screen sometimes, lines on screen, etc.
16- Website order 3952
17 - I beleive you already had my email

Looking forward for a solution for this problem
Thanks
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: RetroStone not booting/crashing/freezing - Hardware issue - Please post here.

Post by Admin »

jgam wrote: Sat 10 Nov 2018 01:29 1- Yes
2- Yes
3- Yes
4- yes
5- nothing connected
6- Etcher and win32diskimager both.
7- Yes multiple times
8- Battery is full
9- Yes 5V 2A
10- Retrorangepi RetroStone Full version and Slim version both don't work.
11- Always use software shutdown.
12- Yes, it did not help
13- Tested another SD and no luck either. Same behaviour with both.
14- Does not help
15- I tried to flash multiple times, cleaning each time with Diskpart, different SD, always the same behaviour : booting only 1 time and no more, blue screen sometimes, lines on screen, etc.
16- Website order 3952
17 - I beleive you already had my email

Looking forward for a solution for this problem
Thanks
Just contacted you by email at gam*******@gmail
dr_bunsen

Post by dr_bunsen »

I've performed the SD card resistor mod, but still get regular boot problems. The most common are pages and pages of data continuously scrolling up the screen and the other is just two lines of text at the top of the screen. Unfortunately I can't read the text. Also, recently my Retrostone has been intermittently emitting loud buzzing and screeching from the speaker after switching off. Switching on again and then shutting down stops it for that occasion. Also, the screen sometimes goes white all over (no flashing blue lines at the top) then the picture will come back, particularly if the unit is moved. Seems like it’s developing some hardware problems. What’s the return process? If I go ahead and return, will the replacement main board have the speaker and SD card resistor fixes implemented? My backer number is 1255.
benonma

Post by benonma »

My retrostone LCD just show white screen when HDMI TV screen show some progress and stuck on frozen screen hold button A to configure and still no response when pressing & hold button A. LCD seems not working.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

dr_bunsen wrote: Mon 12 Nov 2018 17:59 I've performed the SD card resistor mod, but still get regular boot problems. The most common are pages and pages of data continuously scrolling up the screen and the other is just two lines of text at the top of the screen. Unfortunately I can't read the text. Also, recently my Retrostone has been intermittently emitting loud buzzing and screeching from the speaker after switching off. Switching on again and then shutting down stops it for that occasion. Also, the screen sometimes goes white all over (no flashing blue lines at the top) then the picture will come back, particularly if the unit is moved. Seems like it’s developing some hardware problems. What’s the return process? If I go ahead and return, will the replacement main board have the speaker and SD card resistor fixes implemented? My backer number is 1255.
About Loud noise from the speaker, it's because the ON/OFF switch does not go all the way to OFF. It can happens when the on/off switch has twisted a little bit inside. Opening the console and twisting it back in position will solve the problem. For future production we have updated the case design to make sure this will not happen in the future.

Yes it's better to send it back to me for replacement.
Can you contact me by email at hello@8bcraft.com and we'll arrange replacement?
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

benonma wrote: Mon 12 Nov 2018 23:16 My retrostone LCD just show white screen when HDMI TV screen show some progress and stuck on frozen screen hold button A to configure and still no response when pressing & hold button A. LCD seems not working.
What retrorangepi image are you using? When you boot without switching between LCD and HDMI mode, the unit boot on HDMI but not on LCD?

I mean on first boot you have signal on HDMI until you have the screen "hold button a to configure" ?
Meanwhile the LCD is white?

Have you tried to reinstall the system?
benonma

Post by benonma »

Admin wrote: Tue 13 Nov 2018 14:06
benonma wrote: Mon 12 Nov 2018 23:16 My retrostone LCD just show white screen when HDMI TV screen show some progress and stuck on frozen screen hold button A to configure and still no response when pressing & hold button A. LCD seems not working.
What retrorangepi image are you using? When you boot without switching between LCD and HDMI mode, the unit boot on HDMI but not on LCD?

I mean on first boot you have signal on HDMI until you have the screen "hold button a to configure" ?
Meanwhile the LCD is white?

Have you tried to reinstall the system?
Yes I've tried re-install, but still no progress.
This is my RetrorangePi version:
RetrOrangePi_4.2_FULL_Armbian_5.59_Orangepipc_Debian_jessie_default_3.4.113_desktop

LCD is White screen with tick blue lines on top. Only show some booting when plugin to TV screen via HDMI connector.
How do I fix this? I don't think this is booting issue, may be I need to perform that quick fix guide you've posted?
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

You never go past the blue/white LCD ? When you connect HDMI screen you see boot code for ~10 seconds, is that correct?
Then you have artifacts appearing on HDMI right?

Usually this should happen :
- blue/white LCD for 10 seconds. Meanwhile if you have HDMI connected you should see boot code on HDMI.
- LCD goes black, then boot text appear on LCD. From this point HDMI stop refreshing and artifacts will appear on HDMI.

The boot issue that can be fixed be removing the resistor have this :

Sometimes (1 time out of 4 times approximatelly) :
- blue/white LCD forever. Meanwhile if you have HDMI connected you should see boot code on HDMI then boot error something like "MMC not present".

most of times :
Normal

From my understanding your unit is like this :

Always :
- blue/white LCD forever. Meanwhile if you have HDMI connected you should see boot code on HDMI then boot error something like "MMC not present".

If so contact me by email for replacement
irishpride2606

Post by irishpride2606 »

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No
6. Win32diskimager
7. Yes
8. No
9. Yes
10. Full "slim plus" version
11. Yes
12. Yes
13. Yes and Yes
14(Updated). Yes, does not help
15. Retrostone randomly crashes and goes into a black screen with white wording or blue screen. Other times it will not load retrorangepi at all and just a has a steady stream words filling the screen or other times nothing but blue screen.
16. Backer 818

Love this product, but I just wish it would function correctly. Please help!