WIP - Opendingux-like CFW for the Retrostone

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
gameblabla

WIP - Opendingux-like CFW for the Retrostone

Post by gameblabla »

Hello guys,
several days ago i had asked Pierre for a dev unit so i could work on an Opendingux-like firmware for the Retrostone.
The idea is to have something more suited for a console like the retrostone and less like a Retroarch frontend.
He agreed to it and so i started to work on it as soon as i got mine.

Here's a video of the work in progress so far :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxFvWa4zNZY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsqNZfexAf8

I also created an org for my work on it here :
https://github.com/retrostone-dev

Here's what i've managed to do so far :
- Booting initial rootfs built with buildroot. (Works OK so far. glibc doesn't work tho so using musl instead)
- Have sound working. (Works OK now)
- Input working. (Directly reading from GPIO, still software compatible with opendingux software.)

I've written down my observations and notes about it here :
https://github.com/retrostone-dev/Notes-to-Self

Main blocker (As of May 29th)
It's already working, including the GUI and stuff. Missing features so far are external controllers support & HDMI out. (i would need a tool to try out HDMI on the fly)
I'm porting more stuff to it before releasing an alpha version of it.
Last edited by gameblabla on Wed 29 May 2019 02:03, edited 3 times in total.
Sakib

Re: WIP - Opendingux-like CFW for the Retrostone

Post by Sakib »

Good job .. keet it coming .. : )
gameblabla

Post by gameblabla »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsqNZfexAf8

So i had to patch SDL 1.2 and managed to make more progress since then.
Unfortunately though i couldn't make my scaling library work, which means i have to port each game/emulator manually and it will require more effort.
Since i'm using musl-libc, i also can't use 3D acceleration as the open source drivers are only available in mainline.

I'm thinking i should use a mixed-libc rootfs (statically linked musl rootfs + shared libraries glibc apps) as to allow both my own ports and the former ports that were on Armbian. (PPSSPP, Mupen64 in mind)
jutleys

Post by jutleys »

quake 3 should be possible now i think.
gameblabla

Post by gameblabla »

jutleys wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 03:11 quake 3 should be possible now i think.
Yeah but for now i'm mostly focusing on getting emulators for old systems working.

So yeah i admit that i didn't work directly too much on it, though the base system is working now.
I would like to make an early release for it, what platforms should i focus on first ?

I already ported SMS Plus GX (my own fork) and PokeMini to it but there's still much to do.
(also don't ask for Virtual jaguar, it runs too slowly...)

I think i would like to port :
- Picodrive (32X/Genesis/Sega CD)
- PCSX Rearmed
(We will use the NEON software renderer rather than the 3D plugin for now, the mali driver might have some issues)
- Mednafen Oswan/SwanEmu (Need to make a menu for my newer port)
- VBA-M/mGBA or worst case GPSP
Archanjelc

Post by Archanjelc »

PLEASE include NEo Geo if possible :D
Gamuza469

Post by Gamuza469 »

I just decided to recheck the forums after a long time because of your work. Really happy for your work. Keep it up!
gameblabla

Post by gameblabla »

I had to redo the Gmenu2x port, especially given that it now got updated for the RS-90 so i thought to switch to that given that GmenuNx's latest versions no longer respect the GPL...
In addition to PokeMini & SMS Plus GX (though i did update both), i also ported :
- VBA-M (runs smoothly from what i've played so far, need to try with frameskip set to 0)
- SwanEmu, my wonderswan mednafen emu fork. (Also runs all of the games smoothly so far)

Now what i need to do next is to port Picodrive, PCSX Rearmed (and merge my HLE patches as to fix games over HLE) and i don't know, PocketSNES 1.43, Fceux and Handy.
I would also consider porting FBA-GCW0 & FBA-A320.
But as you may have guessed it is a lot of work.

Btw, the OS takes around 22 seconds to boot. (a lot of it is taken by uboot & the kernel)

There's also an issue with low sound volume over the headphone jack. Does anyone know how to increase the default volume over headphones with ALSA ?
zxdunny

Post by zxdunny »

Headphone is a hardware issue. You can fix it yourself with a blob of solder - just search around these forums for the solution.
Gamuza469

Post by Gamuza469 »