Every game lagging in retrostone 2

Please check here for help solving common issues.
Tanuki

Every game lagging in retrostone 2

Post by Tanuki »

Hi,
I just got my retrostone 2 and installed retrorangepi on it, but I've found that every single game I open, in any system, has stuttering audio, and I think it's also skipping frames or lagging overall too.

The audio on the screen where you choose an emulator works flawlessly.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Every game lagging in retrostone 2

Post by Admin »

Sorry about this problem. There is an issue that appeared in the latest beta that retrorangepi developper uploaded recently.

The gamepad is not working the first minute because something is troubling the boot and makes the driver load very slowly. Then the same issue makes the device lag.

We’re working on it right now. Hope it can be solved very fast.

Pierre
Geocym

Post by Geocym »

If you enable threaded video and threaded audio the performance is greatly increased. You can toggle it on the retroarch/all config menu
Optimus6128

Post by Optimus6128 »

I hope there will be an update to the firmware soon please!

Just got my device yesterday and I was puzzled at first with the controls on the menu, then somehow managed to set them up, then everything had horrible hiccups and audio stuttering, even emuls and ports that were very light for the device. I used to play on much less powerful emulation devices back in time like all these opendingux low powered handhelds that could play most of the emuls without a problem. But if it's a firmware issue, I hope it's resolved, looks too bad now, I know the device can do way more than it looks.
Sakib

Post by Sakib »

Yes , Sorry about the issue, we are working on it and fix is coming soon.
lordpayder

Post by lordpayder »

Same issue.. installed the latest version of RetrOrange Pi (5.3.13_desktop_v2) and it feels like games and sound is lagging.
Threaded Video and Audio is already active by default.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

Retrorangepi developper told me they will soon release a new beta with more bug fixed
Kanukanu

Post by Kanukanu »

Hi, same as OP. I've received my Stone2 two days ago and installed the following image: RetrOrangePi_v4.3_Armbian_Retrostone2_PRO_bionic_dev_5.3.13_desktop_v3 (which is currently the latest one available)

I've played a bunch of systems so far and, well, I know the device is not a GPDWin2 but the perfs are sadly excruciating by default. I hope this can be solved in future FW updates (kudos to the devs by the way) but I wanted to know whether there was a list of best practices to improve the audio and framerate issues from an end-user's not-that-tech-savvy standpoint (especially on SNES, N64 and PS1).
Last edited by Kanukanu on Thu 30 Apr 2020 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
Odonadon

Post by Odonadon »

Hi,

Same issue as the OP. I am so looking forward to having this resolved, as it's nearly impossible to play platformers like Super Mario World as the stutter throws the timing way off. I have to keep audio off as the stuttering audio is difficult to listen to as well.

Once resolved I'm sure I won't be able to put the Retrostone 2 down, great form and awesome potential.

I hope there will be an update soon - is this an issue with the hardware, or the software?

Thanks,
Odonadon
Odonadon

Post by Odonadon »

Hi all,

FYI I have resolved the stuttering issue.

I don't understand why, but simply reflashing the SD card has fixed it for me. I've tried games for each system and they're all playing without the audio and video stuttering every 2 seconds or so like I was getting before. Go figure!

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the system now that it's working properly!

Cheers,
Odonadon