Screen goes orange in emulation station

Please check here for help solving common issues.
TheMikeBachmann

Screen goes orange in emulation station

Post by TheMikeBachmann »

I am able to boot into Retr0range Pi after installing the latest version (RetrOrangePi_v4.3_Armbian_Retrostone2_bionic_dev_5.3.13_desktop.img), however after a few seconds of being in the menu, emulation station crashes to an orange screen and will not proceed past that point. I have reformatted the card multiple times and tried different sd cards with the same result.

Here is a link to the picture of the screen i get stuck on as well as a video of it happening after boot: https://imgur.com/a/EBr7ArT

I posted this on the Retr0range Pi forum and they suspected it was a hardware issue with the LCD connector. I reseated the ribbon cable and the only change was it took slightly longer for the issue to occur and the screen now turns a teal color instead of orange.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Screen goes orange in emulation station

Post by Admin »

Reseating the ribbon was a good idea, I was about to suggest that.
Was it closed correctly when you checked it first?
Also maybe the ribbon does not go all the way inside?

The fact that it takes longer to happen and color changed confirms that it's hardware issue. So we will have to replace it. If you prefer you can do some more test to check if the problem can be solved easily. This way you wouldn't have to wait for the replacement.

- Can you check the ribbon if it appears to be damaged?
- Reseating once more could maybe solve the issue.
- Can you try to boot while the console is opened (with charger as battery will be off), and PCB lifted a little bit and put top few cm. Such that the PCB cannot touch the LCD. See if the problem is still the same
TheMikeBachmann

Sure thing! I'll give that a try and report back + try to grab some pictures of the ribbon cable.
TheMikeBachmann

Completed testing. Here is the link to the imgur gallery, details about what I did below: https://imgur.com/a/2JuHk5k

I reseated the cable. Pictures of the connector after reseating are included so you can see it's inserted correctly (unless it isn't!!) I also included a picture of the cable and included chips as they don't appear to be damaged.

The first video behaves slightly differently as the screen went black with the backlight still on.

The second video does not show the issue happening because i couldn't be sure how long it would take, but there is a picture of the screen after the issue occurred. This time it turned green. That's been the main change since I started troubleshooting is that it's gone from orange every time to sometimes blue, green, orange, or black.

I did try moving the cable while the system was powered on before the "crash" occurs to see if there was a short somewhere but i could not manually trigger the issue in this way. It just happens when it happens.

I noted this on the Retr0range Pi forum but last night I was able to get into the armbian xdesktop environment and used it like this for the better part of an hour with no issues. Makes me wonder if maybe we're barking up the wrong tree with the LCD and maybe it's an issue with flash memory or something of that nature, but I am at best an amateur with small electronics so I'm just guessing.
TheMikeBachmann

Watched the video from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4922#p7579 and if it helps, on the occasions where my issue takes longer to manifest, i have also run into nearly the exact same issues he shows in this video.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

About the games taking a long time to load, I found this problem on my unit too. This is most likely a software issue as there wasn't this issue before.

Can you please try this older beta image :
http://8bcraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... esktop.rar

This is an older image that I kept for testing. This image does not have the long loading time issue, but there is some missed frames.
If you can check if your unit also crash with this version please?
TheMikeBachmann

Tested on this version, which asks me to configure the controls when it boots up. I have not been able to get through mapping controls before it crashes to black. It almost seems like the color of the screen after crashing has to do with the colors being displayed on the screen at the time as it is always black here, but i dont know.
TheMikeBachmann

FYI I have been playing with the new image alexkidd posted (http://orangepi.club/showthread.php?tid=3346) today and it seems to be working fine. I have been playing with the built in games for the better part of an hour and have not had a crash yet. This is the first time i've even been able to load a game. I will update this thread if anything changes.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

Awesome, let me know if you have further issues.