Useless CFW for the Retrostone (1)

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
celco
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri 14 Sep 2018 08:43

Re: Useless CFW for the Retrostone (1)

Post by celco » Thu 8 Aug 2019 18:32

@gameblabla

Are there any BIOS files required for particular emulators? If so, where must they be stored? Same for the rom files. Any specific location to store them?
Many thanks for the nice work.

geab
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat 8 Sep 2018 16:34

Re: Useless CFW for the Retrostone (1)

Post by geab » Fri 9 Aug 2019 20:05

This drives me crazy - I did go for a Win 7 PC and have the same result; FAT32 partition not recognized. Last chance is that its the SD card - will buy a new one and check from there.

Groutxo
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon 11 Sep 2017 18:03

Re: Useless CFW for the Retrostone (1)

Post by Groutxo » Tue 13 Aug 2019 18:06

celco wrote:
Thu 8 Aug 2019 18:32
@gameblabla

Are there any BIOS files required for particular emulators? If so, where must they be stored? Same for the rom files. Any specific location to store them?
Many thanks for the nice work.

I also have that question :?

geab
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat 8 Sep 2018 16:34

Re: Useless CFW for the Retrostone (1)

Post by geab » Thu 15 Aug 2019 08:58

@gameblabla

here is an update on the issue to burn the image Retrostone_CFW_v3 to a SD on Win 10

1. Did try on another SD card - same challenges

2. Did have a look at the images and see the following differences - while in v2 the 2.fat FAT32 partition can be viewed and shows as expected the folders this is not the case with v3.

I did download the v3 image several times - could that expain my challenges ?
Attachments
CFW 3.JPG
CFW 3.JPG (48.31 KiB) Viewed 645 times
CFW2.JPG
CFW2.JPG (55.54 KiB) Viewed 645 times

Groutxo
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon 11 Sep 2017 18:03

Re: Useless CFW for the Retrostone (1)

Post by Groutxo » Fri 16 Aug 2019 20:51

Groutxo wrote:
Tue 13 Aug 2019 18:06
celco wrote:
Thu 8 Aug 2019 18:32
@gameblabla

Are there any BIOS files required for particular emulators? If so, where must they be stored? Same for the rom files. Any specific location to store them?
Many thanks for the nice work.

I also have that question :?

I answer myself

At the root of the Fat32 partition.

User avatar
gameblabla
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun 7 Apr 2019 10:02

Re: Useless CFW for the Retrostone (1)

Post by gameblabla » Sat 17 Aug 2019 19:01

Groutxo wrote:
Fri 16 Aug 2019 20:51
Are there any BIOS files required for particular emulators? If so, where must they be stored? Same for the rom files. Any specific location to store them?
Many thanks for the nice work.
Sorry for being late but yes, you need to put the bios files in .pcsx/bios at the root of the FAT32 partition.
here is an update on the issue to burn the image Retrostone_CFW_v3 to a SD on Win 10

1. Did try on another SD card - same challenges

2. Did have a look at the images and see the following differences - while in v2 the 2.fat FAT32 partition can be viewed and shows as expected the folders this is not the case with v3.

I did download the v3 image several times - could that expain my challenges ?
As i said earlier, it's a bug with Windows refusing to mount some FAT32 partitions.
I have no idea why this happens or how it is triggered (and of course, still works fine on Linux) and it really pisses me off.
The same does not happen with NTFS, which i might consider switching to.

geab
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat 8 Sep 2018 16:34

Re: Useless CFW for the Retrostone (1)

Post by geab » Mon 19 Aug 2019 21:19

Why did I ignore the RPi3 standing around at home - plugged card reader with the SD card in and finally I have access to the folders on v3 - ;-)

:twisted: shame on Win 10

User avatar
gameblabla
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun 7 Apr 2019 10:02

Re: Useless CFW for the Retrostone (1)

Post by gameblabla » Wed 18 Sep 2019 03:27

Yo guys,
just thought i would release a minor update to it.
It updates a few emulators and adds a new game.

... Unfortunately, i have some bad news. I thought i could make it switch to the HDMI on the fly.
But neither a10disp or another tool supports that. Attempting to do so leads to a missing kernel implementation error issue.
What the official firmware does is very clunky : it internally changes the boot arguments at boot time and restarts the console.
This is just plain bad and awful. Should even bother to implement it like that ?

As for external controllers, they could still be supported. (in fact they work on Handy)
But without a proper HDMI output, should i bother ?

Let me know.

McSic
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon 22 Jul 2019 20:21

Re: Useless CFW for the Retrostone (1)

Post by McSic » Wed 18 Sep 2019 17:01

gameblabla wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 03:27
Yo guys,
just thought i would release a minor update to it.
It updates a few emulators and adds a new game.

... Unfortunately, i have some bad news. I thought i could make it switch to the HDMI on the fly.
But neither a10disp or another tool supports that. Attempting to do so leads to a missing kernel implementation error issue.
What the official firmware does is very clunky : it internally changes the boot arguments at boot time and restarts the console.
This is just plain bad and awful. Should even bother to implement it like that ?

As for external controllers, they could still be supported. (in fact they work on Handy)
But without a proper HDMI output, should i bother ?

Let me know.
Thanks for the update!

I would say yes, although it's not elegant it gets the job of HDMI support done.

So that would mean yes to controller support too.

geab
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat 8 Sep 2018 16:34

Re: Useless CFW for the Retrostone (1)

Post by geab » Fri 27 Sep 2019 09:57

The HDMI on the fly would have been cool - buwould be still great to get HDMI output and if external controllers could be connected it would be awesome!

Post Reply