Retrostone screen

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
RetroJack

Retrostone screen

Post by RetroJack »

what do we know about the retrostone screen? how does it compare to the raspiboy screen?
RetroJack

Re: Retrostone screen

Post by RetroJack »

Answer: It's the same screen on both - LQ035NC111

Is anyone considering upgrading the screen?
jeffwm

Post by jeffwm »

My unit’s screen shipped and arrived with half of it not working. However, the lower half is the part that was working and I flashed the OS. The screen is so low res I could barely read the item captions. I am extremely disappointed in the quality of the screen. For the cost of the unit to begin with I’m not looking to spend more money to make it what I was looking for so I’m just going to return it for a refund.
lostinfuture

Post by lostinfuture »

Agree, screen quality is really very poor, I expected better screen.
acelister

Post by acelister »

jeffwm wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 03:26 so low res I could barely read the item captions. I am extremely disappointed in the quality of the screen.
I have to agree. The screen quality isn't great. Text is blurry, and the colours appear washed out. I'm hoping it's resolved with the full Retrorangepi, but I doubt it.

The build quality is excellent, and I really can't see any other issues with the device, though I've only tried a couple of games.
bedfellow

Post by bedfellow »

I'm hoping that it's possible to replace the screen with a better quality one, as I'm really stuggling with the blurry writing.
Admin
Administrateur du site

Post by Admin »

Hey guys,
Have you tried to change the theme to GBZ35?
We'r working to improve the theme to the LCD as most flickering comes from emulation station resizing and settings.
bedfellow

Post by bedfellow »

Admin wrote: Mon 20 Aug 2018 09:21 Hey guys,
Have you tried to change the theme to GBZ35?
We'r working to improve the theme to the LCD as most flickering comes from emulation station resizing and settings.
The GBZ35 theme is an improvement, but trying to obtain it highlights another issue in that the settings menu (esthemes) is also almost unreadable due to the font size and resolution.
Brandon

Post by Brandon »

Hi all,

I have not gotten my Retrostones yet. But I have already been looking in to possible replacements for the screen.
The Retrostone uses the LQ035NC11. 3.5in, 320x240, 4:3 aspect, 54pin.
The LCD can be fed an RGB24bit signal, but the RetroStone is taking an analog composite signal and converting it using an AMT630 Video Display Controller IC (I think).

From the videos I've seen, I think the poor quality is mostly from the analog composite feed and only partly from the 320x240 screen.
Trying to feed the LQ035NC11 the HDMI singnal would be tricky because of the 54pin connector.

It is not easy to find a 3.5in, 4:3 LCD screen. I have a few ideas, please let me know what you all think.

It may be easiest to replace the LQ035NC11 with a better screen and feed it the HDMI feed. I was looking at this LCD:
40 pin Transflective IPS, 3.5 inch, 640x480 lcd, 4:3 aspect.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 37097.html

And I was thinking of using an HDMI to 40pin converter to feed it. Like this one:
TFP401 HDMI/DVI Decoder to 40-Pin TTL Breakout
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2218

Adafruit also makes some very small HDMI right angle adapters and 40pin extension ribbon cables.

So I was thinking of taking the HDMI port of the Retrostone and feeding the new 40pin LCD. (no more external HDMI)
This will be tricky with the limited room. I am not sure the new display will fit. Once I have mine I will be able to measure better.

LQ035NC11 dimensions: 76.9(W)x63.9(H)
New LCD dimensions: 85(W)x68(H)

Anyone think this is doable?

Thanks,
Brandon
zxdunny

Post by zxdunny »

If this is doable, then I'm interested in doing it too.

Don't forget that the software will have to be fixed to no longer switch to composite during boot. Let us know if you decide to try it.