Helpful Tips For New Users

Present yourself, make suggestions, tell what you think of the project, ask your general questions
PrometheusDA

Helpful Tips For New Users

Post by PrometheusDA »

Howdy fellas, thought I would help others with issues that I faced when upgrading/using my RetroStone!

Formatting a >32GB MicroSD to FAT32

Usually someone can format partitions via File Explorer>(Selected SD Drive)>Format; this won't work due to it being a larger size than supported. I was able to use MiniAide FAT32 Formatter. I selected the larger SD card when plugged inside my PC, and selected the FAT32 format option. Make sure you hit apply, or else the change won't save!

Finding an online rom database

I used Reddit's r/roms sticky to find a database/collection of roms. (/r/Roms/comments/98rskb/almost_complete_nintendo_rom_and_iso_collection/)
Avoid Mega if you're free-to-use, they have a quota on downloads. Stick to Google Drive (just make a dedicated .gmail account)

Put the USB in AFTER you boot up the PC option to deposit roms

If you stick it in before you turn on the system, you'll get a wonky error message making you shut off the console. Plug it in after you get to the desktop!

Quality of life improvements

After using a 128MB USB, then upgrading to a 1GB USB, it was a hassle to copy/paste/delete files after every rom transfer. Save yourself some pain and get yourself a 64/32GB USB (They cost ~$24 or $17 respectively)

If you plan on using EverDrive (or some other massive rom database) to get games for multiple consoles (especially the larger bit consoles as each rom usually takes more storage) I would upgrade to a 32GB or even a 64GB microSD card. Remember to format it to FAT32!

How to quit a game/desktop without using the on/off switch

Games - Press Start & Select at the same time, you should end up with a black screen with some white text before it returns to the Emulation Station. This is an important step, as said in the RS tutorial, due to the possibility of the SD card getting messed up and such!

Desktop - Drag your cursor to the top left corner>Log Out>Shut Down. You should end up with a black screen with some white text before it returns to a black screen. This is an important step, as said in the RS tutorial, due to the possibility of the SD card getting messed up and such!

How to shut off the system safely

If the instructions were confusing in the RS tutorial, I will help explain it more plainly. After you have quit the rom, select Start, Press B on the Quit option, and press B again on "Shutdown". After this, wait until the text disappears and the screen appears to be black, you may then use the toggle switch to safely turn off the system.

Please PM/comment if anything should be added and/or edited