Readable RetroArch GUI

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RetroStone
Jackamikaz

Readable RetroArch GUI

Post by Jackamikaz »

When you press select+X (in my case, your control scheme may be different) this brings up the RetroArch menu, with which you can tweak a lot of options right in the middle of a game (current save slot, resolution, take screenshot, change inputs, etc).
However by default it has the playstation look and feel, which makes most of the text unreadable on our little 320*240 screen.

Fortunately there is an alternative GUI you can use instead. It's called rgui, (the default one is called xmb) here are the steps to activate it :

- Go to the configuration editor
- 2 Advanced configuration
- 1 Configure libretro options
- 0 all/retroarch.cfg
- 8 menu_driver
- 0 rgui

That's it!
fraenksn

Re: Readable RetroArch GUI

Post by fraenksn »

This really makes sense and should be set by default. Thank you!
Darkam

Post by Darkam »

Yes, excellent idea, it's true that the "Playstation" look is definitively not adapted to a tiny screen. Thanks for this tips !
Darkam Onikaiju, fan de bornes d'arcade.
wackko

Post by wackko »

In addition, if you perfer having the OSD norification in a readable size fonts, you'll need to change the video_font_size :

- Go to the configuration editor
- 2 Advanced configuration
- 1 Configure Libretro options
- 0 all/retroarch.cfg
- 23 Video_font_size
And change it (by default 12 it too small, 24 is big enough for me) !

I use 24 as size and OSD notification are readable (Saving/loading state notifications, RetroAchievements notifications, etc...)
Attachments
IMG_20180906_153321c.jpg
IMG_20180906_153321c.jpg (56.51 KiB) Viewed 15985 times
radiowaves

Post by radiowaves »

I do not understand what is the menu you speak of. I can access some menu with start, but there is no configuration editor there, just things like input set (which does not work, I need to navigate the menu with buttons, but it automatically maps the buttons when I press)... Can someone post a screenshot for me please to know what to look for. This screen is unbearable for me, I can not read anything at all and it is messed up.
Jackamikaz

Post by Jackamikaz »

radiowaves wrote: Thu 6 Sep 2018 19:18 I do not understand what is the menu you speak of. I can access some menu with start, but there is no configuration editor there, just things like input set (which does not work, I need to navigate the menu with buttons, but it automatically maps the buttons when I press)... Can someone post a screenshot for me please to know what to look for. This screen is unbearable for me, I can not read anything at all and it is messed up.
The menu we speak of is the configuration editor. It's accessible when you start the retrostone and navigate to "Retropie" which sits alongside the consoles.
DevNull

Post by DevNull »

Just to clarify, the configuration editor resides within the retropi menu with emulation station. It's one of the options in between SNES GBA psp etc.
deadl0ck

Post by deadl0ck »

Can the Admin sticky this thread as it's very useful ?