Retrostone problems

Here is all the tutorials, FAQ and support for RetroStone
Admin
Administrateur du site

Re: Retrostone problems

Post by Admin »

batiscafo wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 16:54 For me, life remains the same. Well no, with the full version I have entered twice of thirty attempts.
Introducing Roms must be a great adventure ...
Your unit could boot only 2 times on 30 times? Even with the full version?
Have you cleaned correctly your micro-sd before flashing the full version?
Do you have any USB ethernet or charge cable connected while testing this?
Maybe try to re-download the full version image and try flashing it again. Maybe the image got corrupted while downloading.

If nothing helps your unit probably need to be replaced.
jutleys

Post by jutleys »

Hi Pierre I was really enjoying my device with beta testing the new full image untill the device has gone dead. I have tried everything I can think off to bring it back to power on but no light showing if I plug in power I tried 5 different chargers there's no life in the unit I even tried disconnected battery and reboot system but no power something has gone wrong somewhere such a shame because I was really starting to enjoy the system now missing it please can you advise me what to do thanks.
batiscafo

Post by batiscafo »

Admin wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 17:02
batiscafo wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 16:54 For me, life remains the same. Well no, with the full version I have entered twice of thirty attempts.
Introducing Roms must be a great adventure ...
Your unit could boot only 2 times on 30 times? Even with the full version?
Have you cleaned correctly your micro-sd before flashing the full version?
Do you have any USB ethernet or charge cable connected while testing this?
Maybe try to re-download the full version image and try flashing it again. Maybe the image got corrupted while downloading.

If nothing helps your unit probably need to be replaced.
My SD: Sandisk 16 GB UHS-1
Erase and Format with: AOMEI
Flash with: Disk32 (use two .img downloaded with two different computers).
Result: "installing Retrorange pi"... but... "loading failed", in the best case... Only two times I had entered in Emulation Station. With and without charge cable.
With all my respect but it is not normal that a software needs so much scalpel. Unless it's the hardware.
marauder

Post by marauder »

Here's the list of issues I faced with the new Full version:

- I tried 3 times to format and flash an SD card (yes, with the correct tools) and all 3 times it failed to boot from the first launch. However just turning it off and on again surprisingly resulted in a correct system installation.
One of those 3 failures I had with an HDMI TV connected, please see the photo with some logs: http://take.ms/0HRgG

- In general I have an impression (same for Slim, Full beta and Full release), that for me trying to launch the device for the first time after a while is most likely to fail. And vice versa - when I already use it for a couple of hours, it starts booting with 100% success rate.
It makes me thinking that there's a hardware issue that stops reproducing as soon as the board warms up.

- Sometimes disconnecting USB devices (as keyboard or WiFi dongle) causes the whole system to freeze.

- Power button doesn't shutdown even if it's set to shutdown. It still just reboots.

- Keymapping is really messed up, for some reason it's different in every new system version, and every time it's really a challenge to set it up correctly for every core, since button names in Retroarch settings have nothing to do with the actual buttons of Retrostone. Sometimes it's not even possible to select Retrostone keypad as a default controller, and after remapping some buttons you realize that none of your buttons work anymore, since it has mistakenly saved a wrong controller type in Retroarch core remappings.

- Scraper neither worked in beta, nor it works in the release. Just keeps loading something endlessly.

I have also posted this at OrangePi forum, hopefully it somehow helps them to fix the issues.
crippens

Post by crippens »

hi everyone I just received my retrostone today.
the initial set up was without issue. everything worked great.
I started adding roms and that is where the boot process stopped working. the screen was blue/with a clicking sound, like it was trying to reboot or something.
so I went back to square one by formatting the sd card. and the screen will not go past the white/blue portion of the boot.
I got a second sd card. formatted that card and loaded the software. no such luck on booting. either, same white/blue error.
is there a version of orange pie that works best with the retrostone?
crippens

boot issues

Post by crippens »

I received my retrostone today and followed the download instructions exactly. initially the unit worked perfect. I start uploading roms a little bit at a time to make sure it could run them. after the third round of proper shut down and reboot . the retro stone had a blue screen with a clicking noise.
I thought it was an issue with the roms maybe, so I formatted the sd card and started over. now I have a white and blue screen and no boot noises. I even used a different sd card with the same results. is this a software issue, or hardware issue?
Groutxo

Post by Groutxo »

Daniel wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 10:59 Thanks for the Full Version. But I think the screen is not centered.It's best seen in the RetroPie setup menu.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Ln2pRN3EFCLKzoG6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wvV6tsbKXMXbiLsJ7

And the top button on the right does not do anything anymore. In the slim version you could restart the RetroStone.
Is something known about the centering of the screen or can it be corrected with commands?
Thank you
marauder

Post by marauder »

I see a lot of comments on Kickstarter from people who are quite happy with their Retrostones and don't experience anything like the issues reported in this thread.
@Pierre, doesn't that somehow prove that it can be only a hardware issue that prevents some devices from booting reliably even after all these manipulations with SD-cards and various software fixes, while others just do it out of the box?
If not, what else can explain why devices behave so different with absolutely similar software? (I believe we can already exclude the factor of human mistakes at this point).
I understand that it would kind of suck to accept that such a huge number of broken devices has somehow passed the quality control and been supplied to backers..
But maybe that's the case when acceptance is the first step to resolution? )
Mayday10

Post by Mayday10 »

I posted in the Kickstarter that all is well, but after further review.... its rough. I tried playing castlevania and I quickly get booted out to the main menu each time I try to play. Tried Cobra triangle and during play, the select button resets the game. In the menus, I try to scroll over to a new system and the screen starts flashing DOS-like script (as if it is scraping) and then freezes. I feel like the software is extremely unstable.

The headphones have almost no volume.
batiscafo

Post by batiscafo »

Hi Pierre,

Which is the next step for which the retrostone doesn't work?
-New software?
-New Retrostone (revised before shipping)?
-Send us an SD with a supposedly correct installation?